Student Leadership Reform Group: They’re Here For You

By Kathleen Long

Many people on this campus would attest to the fact that I bleed blue and gray. Even Jack the Bulldog would back me up. I have worked throughout my four years to make Georgetown the best university it can be, mostly through my involvement in a wide variety of student clubs and organizations. And that is why I’m currently a member of the Student Leadership Reform Group. SLRG (yes, it rhymes with Surge) is yet another opportunity, although very unique in nature, to make Georgetown a better place for all students.

SLRG began as a student initiative outside of GUSA to examine the leadership of GUSA and to modify its constitution. Students were frustrated with some of the structural bureaucracy, and hoped to streamline practices to better student involvement. These students wanted to look at GUSA’s funding, their internal organization, how they were connected to the outside world of ANC or D.C. politics and how they were connected to the administration. ost of all, these students wanted to examine how GUSA can truly serve as an advocate for all students and student groups, even including GPB, Academic Councils or Volunteer and Public Service groups.

These students became the foundation of SLRG as elected members. But GUSA was and is only the tip of the iceberg concerning SLRG’s examination of student leadership on this campus. That is why there were also six student leaders appointed to SLRG, none of whom are involved in GUSA at all.

As a group, SLRG is also examining issues of club resource allocation and university recognition. We want to see if our structure for student clubs is working as well as it should be, or if things can be modified to suit individual club needs better.

Some examples of questions we’re asking are: should student publications have to choose between protecting their club funding and writing an exposé on an issue? Should club sports be housed under student activities, since they don’t have a home now? Should SAC commissioners be appointed by GUSA, or should there be a separate appointment process to avoid conflicts of interest? Do all club leaders feel as if they’re recognized on this campus by the administration? Have they ever even met the administrators? Do clubs develop and train leaders on a yearly basis, or are we reinventing the wheel every few years or so?

This is exactly where you come in. SLRG is a group of 13 people sitting around discussing these matters, from a wide variety of experiences in student leadership. But we want to hear from all student leaders – SAC groups, Campus Ministry, VPS, Media, Performing Arts, Club Sports . everyone!

What do you expect from GUSA, SAC or the administration? What are some hoops that you have jumped through to get things done for your club that are completely unnecessary? How can we change that? Do you feel the SAC structure has worked, or do we need a larger student union of sorts with representation of each club to decide on funding? If you could change one thing about student leadership, what would it be?

I can speak for the entire Student Leadership Reform Group in saying that we want to legitimize this effort. We do not want any students on this campus to believe that this is only a GUSA endeavor and will have no impact on their lives whatsoever. If we get enough input and support, we can begin to change things.

Please contact any of us on the committee through my email (longkgusun.georgetown.edu) or that of Austin Martin, the committee’s chair (martina1gusun.georgetown.edu). We will forward your ideas to the entire group – ideas that we value and will consider seriously. Please come to a town hall meeting some week to express your opinion – they’re on Wednesday nights at 10 p.m. in Healy Hall, room 104. We can’t wait to hear from you!

Kathleen Long is a senior in the College.