Students Not Ready For New Year’s

By Tina Morin Hoya Staff Writer

While expensive, no-holds-barred celebrations in honor of the new millennium are plentiful, Georgetown students are choosing more low-key celebrations to ring in the new year. Students say that the millennium just isn’t a big deal.

Ginny Simmons (COL ’03) said that she didn’t know what she was going to do. She is going home to New Hampshire for the holidays, so she said that she might go to First Night Boston, an outdoor celebration with various events, or to Portsmouth for a Millenniums Cruise.

Other students have vague palns to party with their friends and celebrate the new year. For example, Kristin Valentino (COL ’02) said that she’s still working on her plans for the new year. But, she said that she’d like to get dressed up and have fun with her friends. Despite her lack of concrete plans, this New York resident said she plans to stay far away from Times Square because she knows it will be even crazier than usual.

Both Shelley Burke (SFS ’00) and Meghan Rice (MSB ’00) are considering taking advantage of the hype surrounding the millennium to earn some money. Burke said that they might head over to New York to cater some of the millennium events. Rice added that they had heard you could earn up to $2,000 a night. Rice also said that she might just stay at home in Delaware and be with her friends. “New Year is always a disappointment anyway,” she said.

Colin Jaundrill (COL ’02) plans to “get together and hang out” with a group of friends from his high school. He said that he doesn’t feel the need to do anything special because it’s the millennium. “I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.”

Other students echoed this apathetic sentiment as well. LeeAnn Liu (SFS ’02) said that, for her, this year is just like any other year. Besides, she said, “technically, it’s not even the millennium.”

A few students said that they do have special plans. Sara Javad (COL ’01), from Miami, Florida, said that she and her friends plan to party on South Beach. While she said that they don’t think this year is any different from other years, they might buy a special bottle of champagne to celebrate.

Although most students weren’t excited about their own New Year’s Eve plans, some expressed some anxiety about what others might do. Steve Broker, a graduate student from Harrisburg, Pa., said that he thought there would be a lot of fights and riots, and Simmons said that people will definitely be more hyped up this year, making disruptions more likely.