Take a Turkey Shuttle

The Corp does the student body a noteworthy service every Thanksgiving by arranging for shuttles to local airports, making students’ lives easier and eating some cash in the process.

The net result of this annual initiative, however, is that the student body will collectively save $7,000 on travel fares alone if all spots in this years’ Thanksgiving shuttle buses, affectionately called the Turkey Shuttles, are filled. The fares for the shuttles will not put a dent in any student’s wallet, nor will it come anywhere near to comparing with the small fortunes to be charged by cab drivers to anyone traveling to and from local airports during the next week and a half.

A trip to Reagan National Airport costs a mere $5, while trips to Dulles and BWI both cost only $15.

The more students who sign up for this service, the greater the benefit will be for the entire student body. As a result of outsourcing its drivers, a new aspect of this year’s program, The Corp will be able to tailor its services to students’ demand up to the last minute, requesting more shuttles and more drivers, and consequently enabling more to be saved by students.

On top of low rates, convenience is key. Getting a seat on one of these shuttles is as easy as nibbling on your mommy’s Thanksgiving cornbread. Reservations on the shuttles, which will depart at various times throughout the day on Tuesday, Nov. 21, and Wednesday, Nov. 22, can all be made online at https://www.thecorp.org/turkey. The shuttles will depart from the Village C steps, so there will be no need to battle with local cabbies at the front gates. Students can also test their chances as walk-ons, though there are no guarantees. In any case, payment must be given in cash at the time of boarding.

Too often are students willing to fault other transportation services – SafeRides prime among them – for being inadequately staffed or excessively slow. When a reliable service comes along, students owe it to themselves to show their approval and their thanks by patronizing those services. Perhaps the success of The Corp’s program in recent years can be attributed to a simple factor: students managing projects on their own.