Tennis Acing Opponents

Despite the recent rough weather, it has been clear sailing for the Georgetown men’s tennis team since spring break.

The team defeated the Division III University of Mary Washington yesterday, 5-2, thanks to dominant singles performances by juniors Kevin Killeavy (6-1, 6-2) and tri-captain Bert Baggio (6-2, 6-2).

The win is Georgetown’s third in a row and third overall. After opening the season with five losses, none closer than 6-1, the Hoyas are finally finding their place, though the current competition has not been as competitive as the early season matches against Navy and Maryland at College Park. The win streak has clinched them a spot in the Big East tournament, in which they are now fighting for high seeding.

“Doubles was a little shaky but we came through in singles,” said sophomore captain Andrew Clayton, who was defeated 8-3 in doubles play. “We got some big wins from Etienne Paris and Ken Wong to clinch the match.”

Georgetown lost the doubles point after easily defeating Connecticut and Villanova last week with Paris and sophomore Ted Tywang recording the only win for the day.

Paris, a sophomore, appeared to be cruising to his third consecutive win this season until the second set began. He dropped the set 6-1, setting up a decisive third set in first singles.

Not completely recovered from his second set collapse, Paris needed a seventh game to finally put away a marathon match, 6-3, 1-6 and 7-5.

After struggling in his last two matches, playing 40 games over two days, Baggio came out of the gate strong, winning his match 6-2, 6-2 for his first comfortable win in recent memory.

Sparkplug senior Eric Conrad, playing with an injured hand provided the match of the day for the Hoyas, winning his match despite losing the first set 1-6.

Impressed after the match, Clayton said, “The kid was frustrating him at first but Conrad just found his groove and pretty much beat up on him for the rest of the match.”

Conrad came back to win 1-6, 6-2 and 6-1 to cap an exciting match. Conrad’s inspirational play is a microcosm of the Hoyas’ play since their spring.

“Our team is really together,” Clayton said, “that’s changed since spring break.”

A more relaxed and independent tennis team has found its way under the guidance of Head Coach Brook Demig, following the resignation of former Head Coach Rick Bausch on Jan. 4. Demig’s new role “has definitely injected new blood into the team,” Clayton said. “We’re more interested in going out on the court right now.”

Georgetown will look to continue its streak of inspired play at the McDonough tennis complex this weekend against Big East foe Rutgers at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday and Duquesne at noon on Sunday.