The Hoya Elects New Spring Staff

Spring semester elections ushered in a new staff for THE HOYA Saturday.

Moises Mendoza (SFS ’07) was elected editor in chief after spending one semester each as managing editor and features editor.

Robert Heberle (COL ’07), who has served as senior news editor, will take over as managing editor.

The staff also elected outgoing Editor in Chief Michael Kurdyla (COL ’06) as chair of the Board of Directors.

“Working for THE HOYA – be it as a writer, editor or business intern – provides the best journalism education available on the Hilltop,” Kurdyla said. “We will continue to strengthen our student newspaper as a learning institution.”

Mendoza said he and Kurdyla would use the momentum created by outgoing chair Andreas Jeninga (SFS ’07) to continue to push the newspaper toward full independence from Georgetown University.

“Independence will allow us to become a better publication serving the entire student body,” Mendoza said. “We must muster the support of students, alumni and administrators to propel us toward this goal.”

Other initiatives for next semester include building increased transparency and working to undertake even more aggressive and proactive reporting.

Former editor in chief Nick Timiraos (COL ’06) and Justin Dickerson (SFS ’06) were reelected to the board and Vidhya urugesan (COL ’07) was elected for the first time.

Adam Giblin (SFS ’06) and Business Director Eric Pallotta (MSB ’07) will also continue to serve on the board.

The terms of all the elected editors begin with today’s issue.