Top Ranked Hoyas Capture Admiral’s Cup

While the Georgetown community has paid relatively little attention to the spring sailing season, that certainly hasn’t hurt the Hoyas’ success. Since the beginning of the spring season, the Georgetown coed sailing team has crept its way up to the No. 1 spot in the sailing college world rankings.

As of Feb. 6 it was 10th overall, but in the past two and a half months the team won eight regattas and team races and now has established its dominance as the nation’s best performing sailing squad.

Therefore, it is no surprise that the team gave two more impressive performances this past weekend. The Hoya sailors won the Admiral’s Cup (for the first time in Georgetown sailing history) and placed a strong third in the competition for the Moody Trophy. The Admiral’s Cup Regatta was held at the United States Merchant Marine Academy in King’s Point, N.Y.

Georgetown dominated the field of 20, with eight first-place finishes and 19 finishes in the top five. The Hoyas came away with victories in both the “A” and “B” divisions. The “A” division team comprised of seniors Ryan Costello, Dana Scalere, and Baye Emery never finished a race lower than 10th place. The “B” division team made up of juniors Ken Ward and Leah Williams also performed well enough to win the division for the Hoyas. Head Coach Mike Callahan was very pleased with the Hoyas’ performance. He said, “I’m really glad we were able to go out there and prove again why we’re ranked No. 1.”

The Moody Trophy Competition was held in Kingston at the University of Rhode Island and also took place this past weekend. After being ranked first at the end of competition on Saturday, Georgetown dropped to third place by the end of Sunday, just one point behind second place winner Boston College. The No. 2-ranked team in the country, Harvard, won the trophy with 210 points. The Hoyas took first place in the “B” division with a stellar showing by junior Brian Bissell and freshman Elizabeth Ryan. Georgetown came in eighth place in the “A” division, with senior John Camera and senior Gavin Weiss performing well.

The Georgetown women’s sailing team also competed this past weekend, at the New York Maritime Open hosted by the State University of New York. The women’s team is also ranked very well in the World College rankings, holding firm at 10th place overall. The women traveled to the East River in New York, where their teams in both the “A” and “B” categories each took third in their respective divisions. Georgetown’s all-sophomore team consisted of Mimi Elliot and Shelley in the “A” division, and Elizabeth Sampson and Emma Trentman in the “B” division. The Hoyas finished with 60 points overall, good enough for a third place finish behind St. Mary’s (45) and Old Dominion (46).

Callahan said that he was pleased with the women’s performance, and was happy about the women’s No. 10 ranking, though he felt they could improve throughout the rest of the season.

Now, the coed and women’s teams look forward towards their goals for the rest of the season. The women hope to qualify for the nationals, and in order to accomplish this will have to finish in third place or better this coming weekend at the MAISA Women’s Championship at the New York Maritime.

The team has qualified for nationals in each of the past five years. The coed team has already qualified for the Team Race Nationals to be held this year at the beginning of June on the Charles River in Boston, Massachusetts. Having won every team race up to this point, Coach Callahan said he has high hopes for a Hoya victory this June, to finish a spectacular season. The team took second at last year’s national team race competition, and Callahan believes that since Georgetown is ranked No. 1 nationally for the first time ever in its history, the team will have the determination and skill to pull of a victory.

Sailing has been a varsity sport at Georgetown since the 1930s, and, remarkably enough, the man who started the team, Martin Quigley (C ’39), still helps out with the team. Today, Georgetown sailing has taken center stage nationally, despite a low budget. The team competes against the giants of the sailing arena, who are equipped with large, state-of-the-art boathouses and receive heavy funding from their schools. Georgetown, on the other hand, has to charter vans to locations as far as Michigan, often having its sailors sleep on the floors of hotels to afford such trips. Nevertheless, this David among Goliaths has prevailed through hard work and determination, its sailors wake up early two times a week to do three hours of weight training on the gym, and relentlessly practice on the Potomac.

Women’s sailing at Georgetown also has a long history. It was the first sport at Georgetown to give a woman a varsity letter, and was one of the first women’s college sailing teams in the country.

Related Links

Sailing Team Page

Coed Sailing Schedule

Women’s Sailing Schedule