University Appoints Permanent MSB Dean

After nearly three years without permanent leadership, the cDonough School of Business will have a new dean this fall.

George Daly, a former dean of New York University’s business school, was appointed dean of the McDonough School of Business on June 16.

Daly will oversee the MSB’s highly ranked undergraduate, BA and International Executive MBA programs. He succeeds Reena Aggrawal, who served as interim dean during the 2004-05 school year, and who will return to the MSB’s faculty this fall.

Aggrawal was elevated to interim dean after MSB Professor John ayo left his position as acting dean, which he had held since the 2002 departure of Dean Christopher Puto.

“Professor Daly brings to Georgetown a strong record of leadership in business education, a deep commitment to providing outstanding educational opportunities for students and a robust support for faculty scholarship,” University President John J. DeGioia said in a statement.

Since being named to his new position, Daly said he has been busy trying to familiarize himself with the environment both on and off campus, meeting periodically with faculty members, administrators and MBA students, and – in his off hours – searching for housing in the D.C. area.

Daly previously served as professor and dean at NYU’s Leonard N. Stern School of Business. Under his leadership, the school rose in national prominence, achieving top national rankings for its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Daly also guided the school during its most extensive fundraising campaign in history, raising $150 million.

In the long run, the McDonough School of Business can realize its potential by “attracting great people and looking over programs,” Daly said.

Daly also praised the proposed new on-campus MSB building, which he said would greatly enhance the educational opportunities for all the school’s students.

“The building will improve classrooms and change the dynamics of the MSB,” he said. “Modern business education involves professional interaction with students where faculty, students and staff can be in one place instead of scattered all over campus.”

Daly added that the MSB is now close to its fundraising goal for beginning construction on the new building.

He also said that one of his major goals is for the MSB to compete with other highly-ranked world-class institutions by recruiting and retaining uniquely talented people.

“We win by getting the very best people and a better-defined identity,” he said. “[The MSB must] get a lot of smart people asking what the fundamentals and values of this education are.”

Daly said that since his appointment he has enjoyed getting to know individual MSB students. In comparison to NYU, Georgetown is “smaller and much more personal, [and] much more concerned with the student experience,” he said.

In addition to his former position at NYU, Daly has taught at several universities and has served as dean at the University of Houston and at the University of Iowa.