Williams Wins Mayor’s Race

By a ratio of nearly two votes to one, [Democrat Anthony A. Williams](https://www.thehoya.com/news/williams-plan-focuses-on-education-efficiency/) defeated [Republican Carol Schwartz](https://www.thehoya.com/news/mayoral-hopeful-schwartz-goes-for-three/) in the election for mayor of the District of Columbia Tuesday. Williams, the fourth elected mayor of D.C., will begin his term at a time when the city anticipates a possible return of governing authority from the three-year-old Congressional Control Board. The unofficial results of Tuesday’s election showed that Williams won 65 percent of the votes, including a majority in each of the city’s eight wards. Schwartz finished second with 30 percent of the votes. In all, over 135,000 votes were cast among eight candidates, amounting to a 39 percent voter turnout. “Today in our city a voice was heard,” Williams said in a speech reported by The Washington Post at the Mayflower Hotel after the election, “Our entire city spoke with one voice. They said, “We want our city back.'” Williams added, “A new era has dawned in our city.” One issue Williams plans to address is the return of home rule to the District. Currently, a presidentially appointed Control Board established by Congress in 1996 oversees D.C.’s mayor and city council. Congress will return power to the local government in 2000, if the city is able to maintain a balanced budget until that time. According to the Washington Post, Williams will meet with the Control Board and discuss having some control returned to the mayor’s office ahead of schedule. “We want home rule restored to our city by January 2,” Williams said, “That has got to be our goal, and we have to fight for that goal.” Should home rule be reinstated, Williams would then play a much more expansive role in many aspects of the city’s government. His powers would include developing the District’s budget, making hiring decisions within the government, and overseeing the daily operations of most city agencies. However, the Control Board would retain the power to decide on financial issues. Williams said, “It’s important that we get the reins of power to show we can manage our city and move this city forward,” in a Washington Post article. Since 1995, Williams served as the District’s chief financial officer. He resigned from the position in June to campaign for mayor, which was his first attempt at an elected office in the city. Williams defeated seven other candidates in the Democratic primary on Sept. 15. Following that victory, Williams campaigned on focusing on improving economic development, attracting businesses, education, and crime prevention. Williams became the fourth elected mayor of D.C., succeeding [Marion Barry, who has held that office for 16 of the last 20 years](https://www.thehoya.com/opinion/the-great-marion-barry-is-washington-dcs-finest-son-give-me-a-break/). According to a Thursday Washington Post article, Williams intends to make several changes during his term as mayor. “(People) will see improvements.We want to restore hope and confidence in residents that we can deliver the fundamental services they expect from government,” he said. Williams’ plans include having more police officers patrol the city on foot or bicycle rather than in cars. He also would encourage additional anti-crime activities that would position police officers alongside neighborhood residents. Williams’ platform also included plans to improve the city’s schools. According to a Washington Post questionnaire, Williams will submit a budget focusing on enhancing teacher’s classroom performance, improving the safety of school grounds, and making necessary repairs to school buildings. In addition, we must all work together – educators, parents, community leaders and businesses – to ensure a safe place for our children to spend their time,” he said.