Women’s Player Capsules

CHANDLER VICCHIO

As senior Chandler Vicchio begins her first season as starting goalkeeper for the Hoyas, she has some big shoes to fill. Vicchio has played behind All-American Bowen Holden, who graduated in 2001, for the past three seasons. However, she has started two games in her time on the Hilltop, last season’s 18-6 win over Syracuse and 18-3 win over Boston College. Head Coach Kim Simons called her 11-save perfomance against Syracuse “astonishing.” Her goals against average last season was 6.92.

MELISSA ELLERS

As freshman in 2001, sophomore midfielder Melissa Ellers started in 18 of the Hoyas 20 games. She scored eight goals and totaled nine points on the season. She was eighth on the team in scoring. Her 56 ground balls picked up was tied for second the team. She also took 16 draws. In high school, she earned 10 letters in lacrosse, basketball, tennis and soccer. She was named Delaware County Daily Times Female Athlete of the Year in 2000.

MELISSA BILES

Junior midfielder Melissa Biles picked up 34 ground balls and took 10 draws for Georgetown last season. She is a tri-captain this season and has started since her freshman year. Biles is one of the Hoyas’ best defenders and will usually match up against the opposition’s top offensive player. She was an All-American in high school and was named the Player of the Year in women’s lacrosse in 1999 by The Washington Post.