Women’s Swimming Splits Weekend

Saturday was a chance for the women’s swimming and diving team to shine while the men took the weekend off.

The Georgetown women played host to St. Francis and Georgia Southern and split the dual meets, beating St. Francis 116-22 and falling to Georgia Southern 75-65.

“It was nice to be able to have the women in their own light this weekend,” Head Coach Bethany Bower said. “It’s definitely a little quieter without the men swimming, but I was really impressed with my women’s team.”

The Hoya women gave her plenty of reasons to be impressed. Senior captain Cori Raffaelli won both the 500- and 1,000-yard freestyle events.

The sophomore women also had strong swims for the Hoyas. Bower said she was particularly impressed by Liz Nugent and Laura Sytnyk. Nugent finished first in the 100-yard backstroke in a time of 1:02.40 and came in second in the 200-yard backstroke.

“Liz is somebody who has been solid but not able to capture first place, so that was fun to see,” Bower said.

She said she was also pleased to see Sytnyk swim so well after coming back from a serious shoulder injury sustained early this year. She won the 200-yard butterfly event in 2:16.16. Freshman Claire Nugent was right behind her at 2:16.37.

“Claire and Laura are a great one-two punch in the butterfly events,” Bower said.

On the diving side, freshman Kelcey Moore won the 1-meter event with an ECAC-qualifying score of 237.15.

After this weekend, the Hoya women have a record of 3-2 in dual meets, although they came very close to being 4-1 after losing to Georgia Southern by such a small margin. The way the meet was scored, it was not a matter of team depth but rather who could win each event. GSU managed to win both relays on Saturday, and those proved to be the difference.

Bower said she was upbeat about the whole weekend, however, and was impressed with her women’s team for keeping it so close.

“I really saw how tough the women were this weekend,” she said.

The Hoyas will return to action this weekend in what looks to be a hectic meet. Teams from Mary Washington, American and Florida A&M will be visiting the Yates Field House for a meet this Saturday at 1 p.m.