VOLLEYBALL | GU Sweeps Butler, Xavier in Big East Matches

The Georgetown volleyball team earned two Big East victories last weekend, defeating both Butler and Xavier in straight sets.

Following last week’s consecutive losses to Marquette (14-4, 5-1 Big East) and DePaul (4-13, 2-4 Big East), the Hoyas (12-7, 5-2 Big East) swept Butler (6-13, 3-4 Big East) on Oct. 5 and Xavier (5-13, 3-4 Big East) on Oct. 6 in a gripping Big East doubleheader.

On Friday night against the Butler Bulldogs, each set remained close, with Georgetown winning the three sets by scores of 25-21, 25-22 and 25-21.

The Hoyas led in the beginning of the first set until the Bulldogs evened the score, but Georgetown later reclaimed the edge, clinching the frame with a kill by senior outside hitter Alyssa Sinnette. After a back-and-forth second set, Butler lost an early lead to Georgetown in the third frame, and the Hoyas clinched the match in three sets.

AARON WEINMENN/THE HOYA | Senior outside hitter Alyssa Sinnette has recorded 192 kills and 103 digs so far this season.

Georgetown recorded 46 kills to Butler’s 29 in the contest. Sinnette led the Hoyas’ attack with 15 kills, while freshman outside hitter Elissa Barbosa and freshman middle blocker Hannah Hamling hammered nine each.

The next day, Georgetown headed to Ohio to face Xavier and made program history with their first win versus the Musketeers.

Once again, Georgetown recorded a closely fought three-set victory, winning with scores of 25-22, 27-25 and 25-23.

In the first set, neither side gained a comfortable lead, as there were ten ties and three lead changes. Following a 20-20 tie, Sinnette’s back-to-back kills secured the set for the Hoyas.

In the second set, after leading 6-2, the Hoyas lost their advantage as the Musketeers jumped out to a 13-11 lead.

Georgetown responded with six straight points on junior outside hitter Iva Vujosevic’s serve. The Hoyas held the advantage in the remainder of the set, and sophomore outside hitter Riley Wertzberger finished the frame with two consecutive kills.

In the final set, after a tight start, the Blue and Gray gained a 10-6 lead and maintained control until the end of the set, when Xavier took a 23-22 lead. After a timeout, senior middle blocker Symone Speech finished the match with two straight kills, sealing the 25-23 win.

Vujosevic ended the match with 11 kills and 13 digs, marking her ninth double-double of the season. Speech posted another 12 kills, leading all players. On defense, senior libero Kenzie Higareda recorded 20 digs.

The Hoyas return home to McDonough Arena this weekend to host another Big East doubleheader. They will face the No. 10 Creighton Bluejays (14-4, 6-0 Big East) Friday at 6 p.m. and the Providence Friars (7-10, 1-5 Big East) Saturday at 5 p.m.