A Third Party is the Charm for the 2012 Presidential Ticket

Politics make us cynical about the American government.

Politicians have long been placing party identities before real politics, leaving the United States in its most economically vulnerable state since the Great Depression. Politicians cater more to party ideologies than to the people they serve — American citizens.

The extent to which the two-party system has failed the American people became especially apparent in the government’s response to a possible shutdown in August. It was despicable to see how the issue of social security benefits for senior citizens was used as a political gambling chip.

Average Americans have a lot at stake, and they should not be used as means to the end of winning seats or popularity for either Democrats or Republicans.

Ideas are ideas, regardless of what side of the aisle they come from. If they help the American people, then they are needed innovations. A bipartisan approach to rebuilding our economy will not only be more representative of the American people at large, but will ensure that problems will be tackled head-on and not through party rhetoric.

Yet, the next presidential elections are shaping up just like the last ones: The endless GOP debates and accusations of Obama’s shortcomings give constituents little confidence for the possible candidates.

During this time of hyper-partisanship, the American people have a third option: an organization by the name of Americans Elect. Americans Elect plans to hold its national online primary election in June, open to any registered voter. This election is a process in which the American people get to choose who they want to vote for without a particular political affiliation. In addition, as long as an American meets the prerequisites to run for president outlined in the Constitution, they can run for office and have the opportunity to hash out issues with other candidates.

With an economy in crisis, there is no sole solution — just as there cannot simply be one approach to politics that could represent the political views of all Americans. The goal of Americans Elect is to have a presidential ticket that is outside of the normal party system. The candidate will have to choose a running mate that is of the opposite political party as him or herself. This will ensure that the candidate is engaging the American people and not a political machine or party.

Americans Elect has an advisory board with prominent Republicans such as Mark McKinnon, who worked for the presidential campaigns of former President George W. Bush and Senator John McCain, and Democrats such as Will Marshall, the president of the Progressive Policy Institute and Democratic pollster Douglas Schoen.

So far, former governor of Louisiana Buddy Roemer has declared he will seek the Americans Elect nomination in his presidential campaign. However, better-known politicians should seek the Americans Elect nomination as well.

The great part about political action outside the realm of polarized parties is that it allows a registered American voter to help nominate any candidate, bringing together prominent minds of our time to find solutions for the American people. It sounds so simple. You would think our government would have caught on a long time ago.

Laura Kresse is a senior in the School of Foreign Service and Justin Pinn is a junior in the College. Both are Georgetown campus representatives for Americans Elect.