AlliedBarton Recruits Vets

AlliedBarton Security Services recently hired more than 20 veterans to join Georgetown’s nighttime security force as part of a nationwide veteran employment initiative called the 100,000 Jobs Mission.

The program, which was established in March 2011 by a group of prominent U.S. businesses, including JPMorgan Chase & Co., aims to hire 100,000 military veterans and transitioning service members by 2020. Other members of the mission include IBM, Verizon, Century 21 and Delta Air Lines. As of the end of 2012, these firms had already hired 51,835 veterans.

“We want to put very highly qualified people that served our country back to work,” Jonathan Piccolo,AlliedBarton’s district area manager for Washington, D.C., said.

The staff of newly hired veterans, all of whom joined the company within the past few weeks, has been added to the nearly 40 AlliedBarton officers who were already part of the Georgetown force.

According to AlliedBarton Director of Strategic Recruiting Jerold Ramos, the initiative is aimed at helping young men and women coming out of the military who are placed at a competitive disadvantage in the jobs market because they often lack formal work experience.

AlliedBarton, which joined the mission in the fall, hired 4,500 veterans across the United States last year and aims to hire another 5,000 in 2013. The company has recruited veterans through job fairs and nonprofit organizations related to veterans’ affairs.

Ramos added that the security services industry is a natural fit for many veterans.

“They’re very highly motivated individuals, very well-disciplined, and their experience within the military falls within what security work does,” Piccolo said.

Piccolo said that more veterans will be hired to work at Georgetown in the near future, although the exact number had not yet been determined. He added that AlliedBarton had received positive feedback from clients and managers regarding the newly hired veterans.

Georgetown University Student Veterans Association Vice President Zachary Zimmerman (MSB ’14) noted that while he appreciated AlliedBarton’s efforts to recruit veterans, the university itself must do more to help those who have served their country.

“I think any initiative to assist veterans’ transition into civilian employment is positive,” Zimmerman wrote in an email. “With that being said, I believe adding 20 more veterans to Georgetown’s student body would be more beneficial to veterans in the long term.”