Angert, Kluger Announce Campaign for Second Term

Georgetown University Student Association President Calen Angert (MSB ’11) and Vice President Jason Kluger (MSB ’11) announced Sunday that they will run for re-election in the upcoming election scheduled for Feb. 23.

“We hope that students think that we’ve done a good job in representing them in this past year and if they think we’ve done a solid job and delivered on a lot of results that they’ll vote for us in this next election for a continued second term,” said Angert.

According to Angert and Kluger, the pair will campaign on an agenda focusing on campus and social life, student safety and student space, and hope to present concrete plans for all three of these areas during the campaign period, which begins Feb. 9.

Angert and Kluger pointed out how they implemented many of their campaign promises from last year, including the creation of the GUSA Fund, which provides supplementary funding for student organizations, and a new program that allows students to drive SafeRides vans in order to allow for a greater Department of Public Safety presence on the streets on weekends. Certified students will begin driving SafeRides vans this weekend.

“We’ve really stepped outside of the politics of [GUSA] and really into the advocacy part,” said Angert. “We’re here for the results, we’re here for the students, and we’re here to see that campus life is improved.”

No other students have officially declared candidacy opposing Angert and Kluger. In the past, GUSA elections have been mired by controversy.

Last year, the GUSA Constitutional Council overturned a ruling by the Election Commission that disqualified two of the running pairs. Angert and Kluger later won in a run-off election against Jeff Lamb (MSB ’10) and Molly Breen (MSB ’11).

The year before, the GUSA Senate rejected the original voting results and held a new election, which resulted in the election of Pat Dowd (SFS ’09) and James Kelly (COL ’09) as president and vice president, respectively, though a different pair had won the first vote.

This year, for the first time, candidates will be required to participate in a public presidential debate and present a tentative budget that will outline how they plan to allocate the GUSA general fund and the Student Activity Fee endowment, assuming funding reform legislation passes.

The debate has yet to be scheduled. “