Asbestos Discovered in Reiss, 4th Floor to Undergo Removal Process

Reiss Science Building will undergo an asbestos abatement process set to end in November following the discovery of asbestos on the fourth floor of the building.

Materials containing asbestos were detected by Georgetown University maintenance staff, along with the Capital Projects team, a department within Planning and Facilities Management that focuses on the planning, designing and construction of Georgetown’s built environment, during preparations for an upcoming renovation project in the building. 

Upon discovering the asbestos, the university subcontracted a licensed asbestos abatement firm to remove the material. The work area will span approximately 4,300 square feet and will be covered to avoid spreading asbestos fibers throughout the rest of the building. As required by Washington, D.C. municipal regulations, the university placed posters in the building on Sept. 30, at least 30 days prior to the scheduling of the asbestos removal.

Asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral, was commonly used in construction during the 20th century in insulation, floor tiles and vehicle brakes due to its resistance to heat and corrosion. Today, asbestos usage is highly regulated by health codes across the country.

Many people are exposed to asbestos through construction or demolition work that disturbs fibers, causing the material to become airborne. Accumulation of asbestos in the body over a long period of time can cause serious health issues, including lung tissue scarring, lung cancer and mesothelioma. 

Angela van Doorn, a professor whose office is located on the fourth floor of the building, said that the flyers placed in the building were the only way that faculty members were notified of the presence of asbestos or the removal process.

“I only learned about the asbestos removal from the notifications posted throughout Reiss. As such I am unaware of the scope or the methods of the removal,” van Doorn wrote to The Hoya. “Just to be safe, I am not working from my office at this time.”

While van Doorn is choosing to work remotely, former University Registrar John Pierce (CAS ’72), whose office is also located on the fourth floor of Reiss, said he does not plan to change his working patterns.

“I haven’t made any changes to accommodate the work,” Pierce wrote to The Hoya. “I have no concerns. It seems to me that the project has been planned and handled well.”

The safety precautions taken during the asbestos removal will follow guidelines set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the District, according to an email to community members from the Office of Planning and Facilities Management.

The university will take careful steps to ensure the asbestos removal process is up to code and that community members are minimally exposed to asbestos, according to a university spokesperson.

Miranda Xiong/The Hoya | Georgetown arranges asbestos removal project following the discovery of asbestos on the fourth floor of the Reiss Science Building

“Per asbestos-abatement regulations and best practices, the entire work-space on the 4th floor will be tented during the asbestos-abatement work,” the spokesperson wrote to The Hoya. “Air quality is regularly monitored both inside the tented-work space and in adjacent building spaces to ensure a safe environment, with reports provided to the DC Department of Energy and Environment.” 

These precautions will ensure that normal workflow in Reiss will not be affected, the spokesperson said.

“The removal of asbestos-containing materials (ACM) will take place within a secure and contained area, and will not impact the operations or health of staff, students or faculty in the Reiss building,” the spokesperson wrote.

Georgetown’s asbestos policy requires all areas under renovation to be reviewed for any toxic materials, such as asbestos, mercury or lead.

Edward Barrows, director of the Center for the Environment, said the current asbestos abatement process is not the first time this has occurred in Reiss. 

“I really didn’t pay much attention to asbestos removal in Reiss in the last 4 years,” Barrows wrote to The Hoya. “I heard that the removal involved floor tiles, and that it was a low-risk removal. If the asbestos is ‘stabilized’ and not in the air, I am not worried about it.” 

Richard Squier, an associate professor in the computer science department, said asbestos treatment has been common throughout his two decades working in Reiss. 

“This started many years ago and has been ongoing from time to time,” Squier wrote. “I am glad to hear they are rehabbing some of the space in this building. There is a lot of unused space, and the more the space gets used, the more the maintenance will be paid attention to.”