BASEBALL | Freshman Earns Team-Best Third Win in Home Opener

Led by a sensational performance from freshman starting pitcher Alex Baker, the Hoyas (11-7) defeated the George Washington University (5-10), 10-4, in Georgetown’s home opener Tuesday afternoon.

Baker’s seven-inning outing at Shirley Povich Field in nearby Bethesda, Md. was the longest of his young and promising college career. The freshman limited the Colonials to two runs on five hits and struck out three batters. Baker was extremely efficient with his pitch selection, and he didn’t waste time going after hitters.

“He pounded the strike zone and was able to keep the GW hitters off balance all day,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said.

The Blue and Gray batters did not waste any time providing their young pitcher with run support, posting five runs through the first three innings.

Sophomore outfielder Justin Leeson started the action with a leadoff double in the bottom of the first. In the next at-bat, sophomore shortstop Mike Garza knocked Leeson in with a double of his own to give the Hoyas a 1-0 lead.

After a quiet second inning, the Georgetown offense picked up again in the third. Garza tacked on the team’s second run of the day, this time with an RBI single. After Paul Bello added another run with an RBI double down the left field line, senior first baseman Dan Capeless scored two more with a double to deep left. The four run outburst put the Hoyas ahead, 5-0.

With the lead well in hand, Baker cruised through the first five innings. The North Carolina native ran into some trouble in the top of the sixth though, when the Colonials scored two runs off a double, cutting the lead to 5-2.

Georgetown responded in the bottom half of the inning with a two-run homerun from Leeson, his first of the season. Third baseman Sean Lamont singled in a run later in the inning, pushing the lead to 8-2.

The Hoyas added two more runs in the seventh when freshman Steve Anderson scored on a wild pitch, and Andy Lentz scored Kevin Johnson on a single to right, increasing the lead to 10-2.

Although the Colonials scored two runs in eighth after Baker handed the ball over to the bullpen, Billy Cosmopulos secured the 10-4 victory with a scoreless ninth inning.

With the victory over GW, Baker earned his team-leading third win of the season.

“Alex [Baker] continues to get better with each outing. This was another good outing for the young right hander,” Wilk said.

The Hoyas will start a three game home series against Princeton on Friday.