BASEBALL | Georgetown Continues to Be Plagued With Inconsistency

After managing a three-game sweep against St. John’s a few weeks ago, the Hoyas struggled — as they have for the larger part of the season — dropping six of their next 10 contests against Creighton, Seton Hall, University of Maryland Eastern Shore and University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

In the first game of the nine-game stretch, Georgetown (19-33, 5-10 Big East) traveled to Catonsville, Md., to square off with the UMBC (21-29). The Retrievers, who entered the game on a three-game losing streak, found no relief against a strong group effort from the Hoyas’ pitching staff. Four different pitchers for Georgetown combined to hold UMBC’s hitters to only one unearned run on six hits.

Junior first baseman Freddy Achedar III was a standout on the offensive end for the Hoyas, reaching base in three of his four at bats, scoring all three times with Georgetown going on to win the contest 6-1.

The team then returned home to Shirley Povich Field for a three-game conference series against Big East rival Creighton University.

In the first game of the series, the Hoyas jumped out to an early 3-1 lead over the Blue Jays (31-11, 11-4 Big East) in the bottom of the first inning, with sophomores Eddie McCabe and Kai Nelson both driving in runs. That run would be Georgetown’s last of the game, as Creighton rallied back to tie it in the seventh inning and then score four runs in the top of the ninth to seal off its comeback victory 7-3.

By the fourth inning of game two, Creighton had jumped out to a 9-0 lead when the game was suspended until the next day because of inclement weather. When play resumed, the Blue Jays saw more of the same, scoring in all but two of nine innings.

The Hoyas’ one highlight was a two-run home run over the right field fence off the bat of junior outfielder AJ Lotsis in an otherwise quiet 14-2 loss.

In game three of its series against Creighton, Georgetown fell behind in the early innings again at 5-0, failing for the rest of the game to string together enough hits to lead a comeback effort. Lotsis had another strong game, homering for the second time in the series and adding a double and a single to a three-hit performance in the 7-4 loss. Georgetown’s starting pitchers surrendered 18 earned runs for the series, and the Hoyas played 20 of 27 innings from behind.

The Georgetown squad managed to shake off the rust from the previous series when they hosted UMES for a double header the following week. The Hoyas’ bats came alive in the first tilt, with four different Hoyas recording multi-hit games in a balanced offensive effort to win 13-5 over a struggling Hawks (10-44) team.

In the second game against UMES, the pitching sealed the deal for the Hoyas. Freshmen Carter Bosch and Jack Weeks combined for six scoreless innings, not allowing a hit until the fifth inning. In the sixth inning, the Hoyas managed two runs through singles and a bunt and finished the day with a second win of 4-2.

GUHoyas | Junior Outfielder AJ Lotsis celebrates a hit while running the base path.

The Hoyas were swept days later, though, by the Seton Hall Pirates (25-23, 9-6 Big East) at Jack Kaiser Stadium, St. John’s home field in Queens, NY.

Georgetown struggles in the first of the three-game series, losing 6-5 on a two-out walk off single in extra innings. After that loss, the Hoyas never got the bats going again, only mustering three runs across the next two contests, losing 7-1 and 6-2.

Graduate transfer outfielder Kyle Ruedisili put together a strong series with four hits and a homerun for the otherwise struggling Hoya offense.

The consecutive Big East sweeps to Creighton and Seton Hall hurt the Hoyas’ seeding prospects for the upcoming Big East tournament, since Georgetown fell to 5-10 on the season in conference play, placing them sixth out of seven teams.

In a Tuesday non-conference home game against UMBC, the Hoyas won 4-3 against the Retrievers, repeating their success from a few weeks earlier. The game started slow, until UMBC got on the board in the fourth inning with a run from Raven Beeman. The Retrievers scored twice more in the fifth inning, but the Hoyas earned three to tie the game, with a home run from Ruedisili, as well as runs from senior infielder Ryan Weisenberg and freshman infielder Alex Rosen. Lotsis got another home run in the eighth inning for the win.

The upcoming three-game series against Butler will be Georgetown’s last chance to right the ship before the postseason.