BASEBALL | GU Lacks Focus in Loss to Norfolk State

With a big weekend series ahead on the schedule, the Georgetown men’s baseball team might have been guilty of not taking its midweek matchup with Norfolk State (2-2) seriously enough. Lackluster play led to a 9-4 loss, dropping the Hoyas to 2-2 on the year.

The Blue and Gray came out on fire in the top of the first, led by back-to-back singles by sophomore shortstop Mike Garza and senior third baseman Sean Lamont. With Garza on third, Lamont swiped second, putting two men in scoring position. Garza went on to score on a throwing error for the game’s first run. A walk put senior catcher Erick Fernandez on at first, with Lamont still 90 feet from another run; senior first baseman Dan Capeless then reached on an error, which also allowed Lamont to score.

In his Georgetown debut, freshman Alex Baker took the hill for the Blue and Gray and felt some growing pains.

Baker’s troubles came early on, as Norfolk State responded with two runs of its own in the bottom half of the first. Still tied 2-2 heading into the bottom of the second, the Spartan offense broke out for five runs, thanks mostly to a grand slam off the bat of senior first baseman Brandon Hairston, putting the hosts ahead 7-2 and ending Baker’s brief debut.

The Hoyas attempted to respond in the top of the third. Garza notched his second hit of the day with a double and eventually came around to score on an RBI groundout by Fernandez. Despite a few strong individual performances, though, Georgetown was unable to claw its way back into the game and eventually fell, 9-4.

Garza finished 2-4 for the day and scored two runs, and junior right fielder Rand Ravnaas continued his hot streak, adding two hits of his own, one a triple. Lamont led the way, going 3-5 and scoring a run. But the Hoyas left a total of 11 men on base and failed to capitalize on Norfolk State’s four errors.

Sophomore Charles Steinman, senior Jack Bender and freshman Stan Rowe combined for six impressive innings out of the pen in the loss. Steinman threw four shutout innings, allowing only one hit. Bender, in his first game back from an injury that caused him to miss all of last season, gave up one unearned run in his inning of work. Rowe, making his Georgetown pitching debut alongside Baker, also gave up one unearned run in the eighth inning.

The Hoyas head back to North Carolina this weekend for the Wake Forest Classic, in which they will take on Northwestern (1-3), Delaware State (0-3) and Wake Forest (1-3).