BASEBALL | GU Wins 1, Loses 2 in Road Series vs. East Tennessee State

GUHOYAS | The Georgetown baseball team dropped two games on the road against East Tennessee State University but managed to win the final one in the series last weekend. 

Last weekend, the Georgetown baseball team travelled to Johnson City, Tenn., for a three-game series against East Tennessee State University. The Hoyas lost the first two games but battled back with a season-high six doubles to capture the final game.

Entering the series, the Hoyas (7-21) were in desperate need of a win, looking to snap a four-game losing streak. The Buccaneers (21-6), on the other hand, were riding the momentum of a five-game winning streak and had won nine of their last 10 games.

On Friday, Georgetown failed to end its losing streak, falling to East Tennessee State by a score of 4-0. Junior pitcher Jeremiah Burke started the game for the Hoyas, striking out six batters and allowing three earned runs in six innings pitched. Junior first baseman Freddy Achecar III and senior second baseman Ryan Weisenberg each had a pair of singles.

The Georgetown offense produced seven hits in the ballgame, but failed to convert any of those baserunners into runs. The Hoyas left two runners on base in the second, sixth and ninth innings. Conversely, the Buccaneers’ offense was efficient, scoring four runs on only five total hits.

On Saturday, Georgetown again failed to capitalize on its hitting, scoring just one run on eight hits in another loss, this time by a margin of 11-1.

Graduate student outfielder Kyle Ruedisili had a double and an RBI, driving in the Hoyas’ lone run with a sacrifice fly to center in the third inning. Sophomore infielder Eddie McCabe and freshman designated hitter Michael Willis each went two for three with two singles.

Georgetown gave up 11 hits in the first four innings alone, five of which went for extra bases. East Tennessee State scored early and often,  jumping out to a 9-1 lead after four innings. The Buccaneers added two more runs in the sixth and cruised to an 11-1 victory.

The Hoyas finally snapped their losing streak on Sunday with a 5-3 win over the Buccaneers, ending a seven-game drought dating back to March 17. Georgetown needed only two pitchers the entire ballgame: senior right-hander Jack Cushing and junior right-hander Nick Morreale.

Cushing started the game, earning the win on five and two thirds innings pitched and two runs allowed, both unearned. Morreale closed the final three innings, striking out four and picking up his first save of the season.

The Hoyas came alive Sunday afternoon, producing 11 hits and five runs. Freshman infielder Alex Rosen led the way with two RBI doubles down the left-field line. Weisenberg also delivered a pair of RBI hits. The season-high six doubles helped the Hoyas seal a 5-3 victory and avoid the dreaded series sweep.

With the 2-1 loss of the series, the Hoyas fell to 7-21 on the season. Despite the poor record, Head Coach Pete Wilk is not panicked heading into conference play.

“We challenged ourselves early. We’ve played better competition than almost everybody we’ve ever started with,” Wilk said in an interview with The Hoya. “We need to take ownership of it. You are what your record says, but I do think we are a better baseball team than our numbers say.”

The Hoyas return home Wednesday, April 3, to take on George Mason. Georgetown then travels to Xavier for a three-game series, opening Big East Conference play on Friday, April 5.