BASEBALL | GU Wins Series Against Xavier

GUHOYAS
Kjsjsjs
GUHOYAS Kjsjsjs
GUHOYAS
Senior first baseman Freddy Achecar III, left, is hitting .193 for the Hoyas this season, with 17 hits, 11 runs and eight runs batted in.

After dropping the first game of its home series against Xavier, the Georgetown baseball team won two consecutive extra-inning games last weekend and followed up with an away victory against the Naval Academy on Wednesday.

The Hoyas (10-20, 2-1 Big East) opened Big East play with a 6-2 loss to the Xavier Musketeers (11-21, 1-2 Big East). Playing at Shirley Povich Field, their home field, in Bethesda, Md., the Hoyas were outhit 15-6 and never possessed the lead.

Junior starting pitcher Jack Cushing held the Musketeers at bay for five innings, giving up one run on seven hits and one walk. The Hoyas’ three relievers — sophomore right-hander Nick Morreale, senior right-hander Matt Randolph and freshman right-hander Beau Dana — gave up five runs on eight hits and three walks in four innings of work as a group.

The Hoyas redeemed themselves with their performance in the final two games of the home series. Sophomore ace pitcher Brent Killam had another strong performance on the mound in the second game, allowing one hit and one earned run over 7 1/3 innings. The outing lowered his season’s earned run average to 2.16.

Senior closer Jimmy Swad came in relief for Killam and continued the strong pitching effort, allowing no hits and one walk to earn the win. Freshman catcher Ryan P. Davis drove in the walk off run in the 10th inning to win the game 2-1, capping off his three-hit effort for the day.

The last game of the series was a comeback victory for the Hoyas, who scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth frame to tie the score up at three. After both teams scored a run in the 10th inning, senior first baseman Alex Bernauer hit a walk off single — only his second RBI of the season — to end the game. Swad was again credited for the win after pitching the last three innings and allowing one hit and one earned run.

On Monday, Swad was awarded Big East Pitcher of the Week honors for his performance against Xavier. Swad is the second Georgetown pitcher to receive this honor this year: Killam received Pitcher of the Week honors in March.

In their most recent game on Wednesday, the Hoyas took on the Navy Midshipmen (25-10)   in Annapolis, Md., for another close game. Georgetown jumped out to a 3-0 lead as a result of freshman shortstop Eddie McCabe’s two hits and junior third baseman Ryan Weisenberg’s three hits.

McCabe and Weisenberg both scored hits on Wednesday. McCabe’s effort aligned with his early season success, upping his batting average to a team-leading .308 on the season.

While the Midshipmen scored two runs in the sixth inning, the Hoyas held on to win the game 3-2. Freshman left-hander Jacob Grzebinski earned the win, allowing four hits, three walks and two earned runs in five innings.  Morreale was credited with his first save of the season.

Georgetown will look to keep their momentum going as they take on George Mason (14-17) at Shirley Povich Field in a three-game series from Friday to Sunday.