BASEBALL | Hoyas Swept by Red Storm in 3-Game Series

GUHOYAS
Freshman shortstop Eddie McCabe is batting .295 on the season for the Hoyas, and has driven in 28 runs.

This past weekend, the Georgetown baseball team (15-23, 2-4 Big East) traveled to New York for a three-game series against Big East rival St. John’s (26-10, 9-0 Big East), losing all three games.

In the opening game, the Hoyas were shut out in the first five innings en route to a 6-3 loss. Junior pitcher Jack Cushing took the mound for the Hoyas, giving up five runs in five and two-thirds innings. Offensively, the Hoyas were led by junior third baseman Ryan Weisenberg, who drove in two runs with a double in the sixth inning. Freshman catcher Ryan P. Davis scored the third run by stealing home in the eighth inning.

On Saturday, the Hoyas did not fare much better, this time losing by a score of 9-1. Sophomore pitcher Brent Killam took the mound, giving up three runs in six innings in his second loss of the season. The Red Storm pulled away in the seventh, scoring an additional three runs to double their lead to 6-0. Offensively, the Hoyas were unable to get much going as they were held scoreless for the first 8-innings. Georgetown scored its only run in the ninth.

Despite the pitching performance, Georgetown came away with another loss in the final game of the series, losing by a score of 2-1 in extra-innings. Offensively, the Hoyas were again held at bay, recording five hits in the game. Senior left-fielder Austin Shirley added an RBI double, the Hoyas sole run of the game.

Sophomore pitcher Jeremiah Burke started the game for the Hoyas, giving up one run in five innings before being replaced by sophomore pitcher Nick Morreale. Morreale pitched three scoreless innings to keep the game tied at 1-1. Senior pitcher Jimmy Swad replaced Morreale, and after pitching a scoreless ninth inning, gave up the game-winning run in the bottom of the 10th via a fielder’s choice.

After Sunday’s loss, Georgetown dropped to 6th in the Big East standings, with a record of 2-4 in the conference. St. John’s remained undefeated, improving to 9-0 in conference play and extending their winning streak to 12 games.

Georgetown will be back in action April 27 for a weekend series against Big East foe Creighton (14-27, 3-6 Big East).