BASEBALL | Streak Ends as Irish Edge Hoyas

Georgetown’s seven-game win streak came to a halt in chilly South Bend, Ind. this weekend as the Hoyas (16-9, 1-2 Big East) dropped two out of three to Notre Dame (9-11-1, 2-1 Big East) in their first Big East series of the year. The Blue and Gray fell short by one run on both Friday and Saturday but salvaged the weekend with a come-from-behind win on Sunday.

A lack of run support throughout the weekend spoiled the Hoyas’ attempt to win their first conference series. In the 17.1 innings thrown by Georgetown starters, the offense mustered just three runs.

“Our bats cooled down versus some pretty good pitching, but I think the weather was definitely a factor in our offense quieting down,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said.

Redshirt senior lefty Alex Meyer took the hill for the Hoyas in their 3-2 loss Friday night. Meyer gave up an unearned run in the bottom of the first, and Notre Dame extended its lead to 2-0 in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI double.

After failing to bring in base runners all night, Georgetown finally got on the scoreboard in the top of the seventh. Redshirt sophomore shortstop Mike Garza continued his hot streak at the plate with an RBI double to score junior second baseman Andy Lentz and cut the lead to one. In the very next at-bat, junior right fielder Rand Ravnaas ripped a triple to center to score Garza and tie the game at two apiece.

Meyer followed with two more shutout innings before handing the ball over to the bullpen. The southpaw threw eight total innings and gave up two runs while striking out six.

Unfortunately for the lefty, his stellar outing went to waste in the bottom of ninth as redshirt senior righty Mike Seander and sophomore righty Neal Dennison struggled to find the strike zone. Dennison walked home the game-winning run with two outs to cap off a disappointing loss.

“I felt we deserved to win Friday’s game but shot ourselves in the foot after playing a great brand of baseball through eight innings,” Wilk said. “Anytime you walk four batters in an inning, you deserve to lose.”

Georgetown’s matchup Saturday again featured a set of dominant starting pitching performances, but the Hoyas fell in another close game, 1-0.

Sophomore right-handed starter Charles Steinman threw four innings, giving up just one run on a two-out single in the fourth. Redshirt junior righty Tommy Issacs, junior righty Billy Cosmopulos and senior righty Pablo Vinent came together for four shutout innings of relief to hold the deficit at one.

But Georgetown was unable to break Notre Dame senior starter Cole Johnson’s shutout. Johnson threw eight scoreless innings and struck out six before handing the ball over to freshman reliever Dan Slania for the save.

“[Notre Dame] gave us a chance to win the game,” Wilk said. “But we couldn’t touch the plate.”

With usual junior righty weekend starter Will Harris injured, Wilk gave freshman righty Alex Baker the task of salvaging the weekend in the series finale on Sunday.

Looking for redemption, Georgetown jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first on a sacrifice fly by Ravnaas that scored sophomore center fielder Justin Leeson.

The Irish clawed back in the sixth, though, scoring two runs against Baker. Vinent came in mid-inning for his second appearance of the weekend and prevented any further damage, holding the Notre Dame lead at 2-1.

The Hoyas countered in the top of the next inning with a three-run surge to get back on top, 4-2. Senior third baseman Sean Lamont smoked an RBI double to left-center to score redshirt senior first baseman Dan Capeless and tie the game at two. After a single from freshman designated hitter Steve Anderson put two men on base, sophomore left fielder Paul Bello put the Hoyas ahead with a two-run single to center.

Vinent earned the win after contributing an impressive 3.2 innings of relief, giving up just one run in the eighth.

Next up for Georgetown is a nonconference game at Coppin State tomorrow. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. in Baltimore.