BOLAS: What’s on My Playlist

1. “So Much More Than This” by Grace Vanderwaal

Performed and written by Grace VanderWaal, “So Much More Than This” was released as a single Sept. 15 and is quickly gaining steam on the pop charts. As catchy as the tune is, the voice behind it is even more impressive: At only 12 years old, VanderWaal won the 11th season of the NBC competition “America’s Got Talent” and signed a record deal with Columbia Records. “So Much More Than This” is a song about looking beyond the superficial, and VanderWaal’s ability to start soft and build to the chorus allows for this message to jump out at the listener.

2.  “Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin

First debuting on the radio in 1971 and officially released on the album “Led Zeppelin IV”, the iconic rock song “Stairway to Heaven” is a piece of art. In an attempt to get away from the city, lead guitarist Jimmy Page and the rest of the band retreated to Headley Grange in Hampshire, England. It is here that the band experimented with the acoustics of the large former poorhouse that heavily influenced its music and where Robert Plant wrote a majority of the lyrics to “Stairway to Heaven.” The band’s focus on creating art is evident in the song’s structure and flow: The song is one long roller coaster, with several different layers, and should be listened to as a story.

3.  “Free Fallin'” by Tom Petty

This week, we remember the man who influenced rock, and all genres of music, forever. Tom Petty was born and raised in Florida and was heavily influenced by Elvis Presley. He is best known for his singalong rock tunes that can transport listeners back in time. Today, we remember his greatest hits like “Free Fallin’,” “You Don’t Know How It Feels” and “I Won’t Back Down.” Covered by artists from John Mayer to Coldplay, “Free Fallin’” will forever be a nostalgic classic. Whether listening with a group of friends or just by yourself, Petty’s tunes will make you want to reminisce about fond memories. Listening to “Free Fallin’” is a great way to pay homage to the rock-and-roll legend.

4. “Believer” by Imagine Dragons

“Believer” was released as a single earlier this year and made its way onto Imagine Dragons’ latest album, “Evolve.” The band’s use of drums, layered vocals and a slow rhythm enables listeners to immerse themselves in an eerie scene. The spitfire lyrics grab listeners’ ears, pulling them into a rousing, powerful chorus. As reflected in “Believer,” Imagine Dragons has the expert ability to use different electronic elements to produce a fun alternative rock sound. The band’s concerts are always high-energy, with fans cheering and singing along with lead singer Dan Reynolds.