BZA Ruling May Affect GU Housing

A federal judge this month lifted District provisions that would have required the George Washington University to house 1,500 more students in on-campus residences, allowing the university to move forward with its building projects as planned.

U.S. District Judge Louis F. Oberdorfer said that the Board of Zoning Adjustment’s restrictions, which mandated that George Washington house 70 percent of its undergraduates on campus, were “arbitrary and capricious.”

Oberdorfer, however, rejected the university’s claim that the BZA’s restrictions infringed upon its academic freedom, maintaining the District’s legitimate objective to regulate growth on university campuses.

“We are very pleased with the judge’s decision,” George Washington’s Director of Media Relations Gretchen King said.

Issued last February, the restrictions also included a cap on the university’s enrollment. At that time, George Washington housed only 50 percent of undergraduate students on campus. In February, the federal court issued an injunction that temporarily repealed the enrollment freeze, which required the university to provide a total of 5,600 beds by Aug. 31.

In his memorandum, Oberdorfer noted that George Washington already has 4,120 beds on campus, and the university’s 1,400 beds, immediately adjacent to campus, should also count as on-campus housing.

Currently, George Washington houses nearly 71 percent of its undergraduate students on campus.

“We were more conservative in our acceptances for next year – we should see an eight to 10 percent drop in our acceptance rate – and we expect to be able to meet all of our housing needs for next year,” King said.

George Washington’s 10-year plan includes a new

Health and Wellness Center, School of Media and Public Affairs, an expansion of the George Washington Law School, renovation of arvin Hall, George Washington’s student center, a new residence hall and a parking garage complex.

Georgetown University officials said they are unsure if Oberdorfer’s decision will have any effect on the university’s September appeal to district court about similar BZA restrictions. According to the appeal, Georgetown’s compliance with the BZA orders, which includes a release of private information of students living off campus and a freeze on enrollment, directly interferes with the university’s ability to fulfill its educational mission.

“For now, pending legal review, Georgetown continues to act in good faith by implementing the final Order to the fullest extent of the law,” Assistant Vice President for Communications Julie Green Bataille said.

The appeal also claims that the BZA’s orders are inconsistent with obligations under federal law, specifically the policy defined in the 1976 Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. Georgetown’s student privacy policy, as described in the Student Code of Conduct, forbids the release of personal student information, which conflicts with BZA orders to release off-campus students’ information.

Georgetown houses the highest percentage of its undergraduates on campus among district universities, approximately 77 percent. In February 2001, University President John J. DeGioia said he would like that figure to reach 90 percent during his tenure.