Campus Closed Monday

The university will be closed tomorrow in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy, a Category 1 storm expected to hit the Washington area Monday afternoon, according to university spokeswoman Stacy Kerr.

According to a broadcast email sent to the campus community Sunday evening, the main campus, the Law Center and the School of Medicine will all be closed. Regularly scheduled classes are cancelled, as are Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle services. According to head librarian Artemis Kirk, Lauinger Library will also be closing at noon on Monday. The university will attempt to keep Yates Field House,  O’Donovan Hall, Intercultural Center and Leavey Center operating normally, but all other buildings will be open according to their weekend schedules.

The hurricane has prompted a wave of closures up and down the East Cost as cities ready themselves for the storm, which is expected to bring as much as seven inches of rain and cause wind gusts of up to 60 miles per hour, according to The Washington Post.

D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray has declared a state of emergency in anticipation of the storm; Washington-area federal offices, D.C. public schools, Metro and Metrobus will also be closed.

Georgetown will announce its operating status for Tuesday, Oct. 30 by noon Monday, according to broadcast email.