Chapel Vandalism Unexplained

LEONEL DE VELEZ/THE HOYA The chapel’s crucifix was among the items targeted by vandals overnight Saturday. Evidence is insufficient to declare the attack anti-religious.
LEONEL DE VELEZ/THE HOYA
The chapel’s crucifix was among the items targeted by vandals overnight Saturday. Evidence is insufficient to declare the attack anti-religious.

Dahlgren Chapel was vandalized sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning, with chairs, an organ mirror and panel and a crucifix among the items damaged.

Although Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh confirmed that the university has taken measures to tighten security around the chapel since the incident, neither she nor Chief of Police and Director of Public Safety Jay Gruberwould provide additional details on the ongoing investigation, such as whether there were operational security cameras in the chapel during the incident or if there are any leads on suspects.

According to Pugh, the incident was reported around 10 a.m. Sunday morning to the Department of Public Safety, leaving little time before the start of 11 a.m. Mass. The 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. services were relocated to St. William’s Chapel in Copley Hall. Mass resumed in Dahlgren at 5 p.m. after the damage was cleared.

Vice President for Mission and Ministry Fr. Kevin O’Brien, S.J., stated that although the crucifix is a religious symbol, the object — which had a hand broken off — appeared to have been knocked over as the suspect tried to approach the piano and organ located behind the altar, meaning there is no concrete evidence that the vandalism was inspired by anti-religious sentiments.

“If the person had intended to desecrate the crucifix, I presume that a more dramatic and clear gesture damaging the crucifix would have been done,” O’Brien wrote in an email. “So while damage was done to the crucifix, which we condemn along with the damage to the other property in the chapel, we cannot say now that the purpose of the damage was specifically desecration.”

While a complete inventory of the chapel’s property had not yet been taken as of press time, O’Brien stated that he did not expect any other damage to be discovered and that nothing had been found stolen.
Churchgoers were stunned to learn of the incident.

“I was shocked,” Sally Kiefer, a regular attendee of the 12:30 p.m. Mass, said. “I’ve been coming here since 1973, and nothing like this has ever happened.”

University President John J. DeGioia sent an email to the Georgetown community at approximately 2:20 p.m. Sunday reflecting similar disappointment.

“I must underscore that acts of vandalism, especially of sacred places, have no place in our campus community,” DeGioia wrote. “As a Catholic and Jesuit university, we are committed to fostering a community that is welcoming to people of all religions, races and ethnicities and that values understanding, inclusion and respect.”

O’Brien added that while he is upset by the incident, the support of Georgetown community members has lessened the blow.

“I am deeply saddened by this destructive action in the spiritual heart of our campus,” O’Brien wrote.“Dahlgren Chapel means a great deal not just to Catholics on campus but to many others who find inDahlgren a reminder of our vital religious heritage. I am consoled by the outreach from diverse members of our community.”

Georgetown University Student Association President Nate Tisa (SFS ’14) and Vice President Adam Ramadan (SFS ‘14) released a statement late Sunday afternoon condemning acts of vandalism.

In May 2012, the upperclassmen of the women’s club volleyball team admitted to littering the steps of the chapel with condom wrappers and cups of alcohol.

DeGioia urged anyone with information about the incident to contact the Department of Public Safety.