Chipotle-Style Greek Grill Proves Simple is Better

4/5 stars

$

Just like Mexican food has its Chipotle, pasta has its Noodles and Company and Asian has its Shophouse, easy, convenient and delicious Mediterranean food has found a home in Cava Mezze Grill. The chain restaurant is open at five locations around D.C., including lively Columbia Heights and Tenleytown near American University. All locations are easily accessible by Metro or bus.  

Walk inside the dimly lit interior of Cava Mezze Grill, and you can feel yourself relaxing. The interior is paneled with dark wood with sleek black paneling and is full of nestle-worthy booths. Like Chipotle, you order and pay at the counter where you can decide between the full array of choices splayed out on the counter in front of you. The first choice is the vessel for your meal, either a pita ($7.25), a mini-pita with soup ($7.25), a rice bowl ($8.50) or a salad bowl ($8.50). You can then decide between spreads such as spicy roasted red pepper hummus or refreshing tzatziki. Next comes a choice from proteins like falafel balls, chicken or braised lamb. Finally, you can pile on as many toppings as you can justify fitting into your mouth. The result is a colorful bowl overflowing with pickled cabbage, quinoa and cucumbers. Even with all of the choices, the prices are perfect for a college student and nothing on the menu will run you more than $9. Throw in some lentil soup or pita chips and hummus as a side, and you might not even break the $10 mark.

While my whole experience up to this point had been quite like other healthy fast food restaurants I had tried before, my first bite of Cava Mezze Grill elevated it far beyond its contemporaries. The pita was warm and chewy, the falafel was spicy but not too fried and the sauces blended together in a combination that can only be described as amazing. I wanted to eat it as slowly as possible in order to savor every bite. The lentil soup was even more incredible. It was perfect for the rainy night, with its filling array of vegetables and a spicy kick. You know a meal is good when you can’t help yourself from smiling between bites. And I wasn’t the only one smiling; everybody at the table agreed that the meal was better than most fancy Greek restaurants we had been to.

While not as convenient as some other similar restaurants, the grill makes up for its location with the ease of ordering, the low price of dishes and the flavorful food. If you want Mediterranean food that will satisfy and delight, Cava Mezze grill is the place.