COACH OF THE YEAR | Ricky Fried

LAXALLSTARS
LAXALLSTARS
LAXALLSTARS
LAXALLSTARS

In his 10th season as Head Coach of the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team, Ricky Fried has led the team to a 106-58 overall record and won six Big East regular season titles. After a disappointing beginning to their season this spring, the Hoyas composed a 6-1 record in the Big East and advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Aside from the team’s success in the conference this season, Fried has claimed personal victories of his own. In the Blue and Gray’s 13-6 win over Temple in April, Fried notched his 114th win and became the winningest coach in program history.

Much of Fried’s success can be attributed to his unique system, which calls for attentiveness from players on and off the field, substituting them in and out with each change of possession throughout the game. While the quick exchanges occur seamlessly, his focus on detail all over the field is impressive.

When a play is taking place in Georgetown’s offensive zone, Fried scans the field. He can catch an offside violation while simultaneously alerting his team of the next play to run. It may seem impossible to pay attention to each game with such awareness, but Fried can be seen doing this up and down the sideline during every single play.

This skill has not only been recognized by Georgetown, but also by lacrosse organizations nationwide and is, in part, the reason Fried was named head coach of Team USA. He led the team to its seventh championship in summer 2013. The squad has since renewed Fried’s position through the 2017 season.

Fried’s experience at Georgetown has proven to be very successful, but his career in lacrosse began long before his arrival in the District. He was an All-American at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County and played professionally for seven years. Fried’s unorthodox women’s coaching style is a clear result of his success on the men’s side of the game.

His knowledge of the game allows him to expect a lot from his players, and he never sugarcoats his thoughts on the game unfolding before him. He is the first to congratulate a player after a goal and the first to challenge a referee after a questionable call. Aside from his accolades, statistics and overall success, Fried takes pride in being a more important figure to his players. Fried is a teacher; whether it is practice or a game, he can be found giving group instruction as well as one-on-one direction in every aspect of the game. Whether the team wins or loses a matchup, he is always geared toward improvement.

“The bigger piece for us is trying to focus on continuing to improve. It’s not that we’re going to get any better skill-wise, necessarily, or tactically, but [what matters is] our concentration level and being able to maintain a level of play for a period of time,” Fried said in April.

After the team experienced a rough patch midway through the season, Fried made adjustments. The Hoyas went on to stun their opponents with a seven-game winning streak. Their final game of the season came in a second-round loss in the NCAA tournament against No. 3 North Carolina. Although the Blue and Gray ended the season unranked, the squad put up strong numbers against UNC and was defeated in a 10-8 final decision.

It is obvious that Fried captivates the attention and respect of his players year after year. His dedication to his players and the game makes his team that much more excited to play for him. His influence is evident in every game that Georgetown plays. Each player buys into his system and is confident that the play he is yelling from the other side of the field is the one that will result in a goal. His unparalleled knowledge of the game makes him an invaluable asset to Georgetown. Through the development of players and evolution of the program, one thing remains constant: Fried’s desire to teach his players about a unique and effective method to win.