Commencement Speakers Set

CBS “Face the Nation” anchor Bob Schieffer, basketball star Dikembe Mutombo (SLL ’91) and Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf are among the high-profile speakers slated for visits to the Hilltop for commencement ceremonies this May, according to [the Office of Communications](https://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=50696&PageTemplateID=288).

Mutombo, a former Georgetown basketball player, 18-season veteran of the NBA and philanthropist, will speak at the College’s undergraduate ceremony, while Johnson Sirleaf, the only elected female head of state in Africa, will address graduates of the School of Foreign Service. Founding partner of Black Entertainment Television Sheila Johnson, who is also the only black woman in the United States to hold ownership of three professional sports teams, is set as the commencement speaker for the McDonough School of Business ceremony. Rounding out the undergraduate schools, David Molyneux, a world-renowned doctor and medical researcher in developing nations, will speak to graduates of the School of Nursing and Health Studies.

Schieffer, who is also the CBS chief White House correspondent, will appear at the School of Continuing Studies commencement ceremony. Guest speakers for graduate studies ceremonies include U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Chair Mary Schapiro, who will address graduates of the MSB’s MBA program, as well as Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Edward Jones, set to speak to outgoing students of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey will speak at the ROTC commissioning ceremony.

This year’s commencement exercises will take place from May 21 to May 23.