Concert Review: Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas

RHIANNON CATALANO/THEHOYA Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas brought a fun, intriguing mix of music to the 9:30 Club last week.
RHIANNON CATALANO/THEHOYA
Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas brought a fun, intriguing mix of music to the 9:30 Club last week.

With their unique style, Detroit-based Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas have attracted a lot of buzz in the music world in the past year. The band has created a unique blend of rock, jazz, soul, R&B and Motown influences unrivaled by anything playing on the mainstream airways today.

The group brought an amazing energy and vibe to the 9:30 Club on March 20 through Jessica Hernandez’s unique and impressive stage presence and the band’s catchy, upbeat sound. Although they were just the opening act, the band treated their set as if they were headlining the show,

They opened their set with “Tired Oak,” one of the lesser-known songs off their debut album. They performed with a vigor that created a lively atmosphere, setting the bar high for their following numbers; Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas did not disappoint.

Throughout the performance, Jessica Hernandez oozed charisma. She danced along to every song, moving her body to the beat. She constantly walked back and forth across the stage letting the audience know that she was the one running the show. Her expressive face and bugged out eyes added to the intensity and entertainment value of her performance. No matter where you were standing in the audience, you were entranced by Hernandez’s presence.

The band had a few lighting effects but no real heavy visual elements. This worked to the band’s advantage because they did not need the distracting visual elements to capture the audience’s attention. They succeeded in capturing the audience’s attention through their stage presence alone.

The band’s trombone player, John Raleeh, brought a jazzy feel to the songs and played killer solos on multiple occasions. This is particularly true on “Gone in Two Seconds.” This jazzy vibe was an unsuspecting twist the audience loved. This show also happened to land on Raleeh’s birthday. Hernandez cracked many jokes about how the female audience members should be buying him shots to celebrate.

Hernandez got the crowd to participate on the song “No Place Left to Hide.” She encouraged the audience by stating that they had not tried this at any other stop on the tour, and since it was John’s birthday they had to. Shockingly, Hernandez got almost every audience member to get down on the floor and slowly rise with her as the volume of the music increased. The crowd participation contributed an interesting element to their set and brought an immense energy to the venue.

RHIANNON CATALANO/THE HOYA
RHIANNON CATALANO/THE HOYA

A surprising song choice in the set was “Picture Me With You (Carnie Threesome),” a song from their EP “Demons.” With a heavy, driving bass drum, this song brought a high energy that was felt throughout the venue. Although high in energy, the song also brought a very jazzy vibe with its various trombone solos. The audience loved the band’s enthusiasm and danced along to the song as well. In the middle of the song, Hernandez tore herself away from the microphone to bang on the drum put in front of her. Throughout the show, Hernandez showed off her musical abilities by singing, playing guitar, and beating the drum.

The band closed the show with a cover, an odd choice and a choice not taken by many artists. However their cover of Le Tigre’s “Deceptacon” was the best performance of the night. When interviewed by The Hoya, Jessica Hernandez mentioned that, of the concerts she had experienced, her favorite was Le Tigre’s — it is easy to see why. Her delivery of this song was spot-on. The band brought a super high energy that was unrivaled by any other song in their short set. The crowd got into it bopping along to the song and even singing along.

After a 10-song set, the band exited the stage to congratulatory applause of the fans. Although the majority of the audience did not come to see Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas, they were happy with their decision to come early and see the band’s set. Their set brought such an intriguing presence and high energy that if one did not come to the show as a fan of Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas, he or she certainly left a fan.