Continuing the Debate Over University Recognition

President John J. DeGioia’s predecessor, Leo O’ Donovan, was well known for his liberal take on university politics. He is, perhaps, most famous for the support he showed during his term for pro-choice group GU Choice, the group which would ultimately become H*yas for Choice.

This was a decision that attracted criticism, especially in light of Georgetown University’s status as a Catholic university. Despite years of refusals to shut the group down, citing freedom of speech as a defense, the Vatican ordered O’ Donovan to disband the group and revoke its status as a university-sanctioned organization in 1992.

Since O’Donovan’s retirement in 2001, Georgetown has generally remained in a lull. Yes, we have slowly and steadily built support for H*yas for Choice and free speech on campus—making major progress with the introduction of contraception to the university’s student health insurance plan in 2013—but we’ve largely remained in the shadows, reworking our foundations and generating interest. We have kept our major antagonisms to a minimum, and the Vatican has more or less left us alone.

University policies regarding resource allocation and space don’t just affect groups like H*yas for Choice. With the recent rise in popularity of fraternities and sororities on campus even just this year, the university will soon have to question its policy against recognizing these organizations as a subset of the university. By historically disallowing them from participating in the SAC Fair and from receiving benefits, the university sends a clear message. As more students involve themselves in Greek life, the problem grows larger.

Nevertheless, it seems that we’re exiting this valley and beginning to enter a new era here at Georgetown. January’s Free Speech Forum attracted a large turnout and elevated interest in issues that affect us all; Trevor Tezel (SFS’ 15) and Omika Jikaria’s (SFS’ 15) GUSA platform revolves heavily around the extension of free speech and proper allocation of space and resources to all student groups, including those that go unrecognized by the university’s administration.

It’s a step in the right direction, but the question remains of how the Vatican will respond to our community’s newfound interest in liberal social activism. With steady steps and clear focus, we can move toward progress. It may be a time to question what our Catholic identity means to us as students and as an establishment, but it is also a time to collaborate with open arms and open minds.

Alexandria Plutnicki is a freshman in the McDonough School of Business.