Couric’s Show Films at GU

“Katie,” a talk show hosted by Katie Couric, filmed a segment in Sellinger Lounge on Wednesday for its five-school national challenge to promote communities partnering with nonprofit organizations to meet their holiday goals.
Georgetown nominated its partner organization, Life Pieces to Masterpieces, which was founded and is run by John Thompson Legacy of a Dream Award recipient Mary Brown. The organization mentors young black men and boys in Washington, D.C., focusing on art projects to increase character development and leadership.
“[This series] takes us across the country to help different organizations leading up to the holidays,” “Katie” special correspondent Cameron Hughes said. “The big thing is to get the community behind the community. It’s getting people to show up organically.”
“Katie” Associate Producer Josh Francis said filming at Georgetown was a positive experience.
“We loved the opportunity to stop at Georgetown. It’s right here in D.C., which makes it central to the community we’re trying to support,” Francis said. “We’ve seen so much support from the student community here. We’re so glad to see students rally to support such a great organization.”
The segment, set to air next Thursday, sought to encourage Georgetown students to donate art supplies and cash gifts in support of Brown’s organization. The Georgetown University Bookstore offered discounted art supplies Wednesday, and donations were collected at the Georgetown basketball game against Wright State Wednesday night at Verizon Center.
“Katie” chose Georgetown largely because of the school’s connection with Brown.
“What we are doing is coming in and using our human development system to help these young men understand who they are and also to understand global citizenship – that they are part of a shared humanity,” Brown said.
D.C. Reads coordinator Mellie Corrigan (COL ’14), who has also led work on Community Service Day and the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, was selected to represent Georgetown and the Center for Social Justice during the segment.
“It was a huge compliment to be asked to represent Georgetown,” Corrigan said. “It was a little bit surreal, being in Sellinger with the camera crew.”
In addition to Corrigan, Associate Vice President for Community Engagement and Strategic Initiatives Lauralyn Lee appeared on the program.
“This was an important opportunity for Georgetown to support our 2013 Legacy of a Dream Award recipient, Mary Brown, and her organization Life Pieces to Masterpieces,” Lee said. “The university recognized Mary as an emerging leader doing impactful work in our city with this award last winter and has been actively partnering with Life Pieces since then. We appreciate the support of so many in our community and across the city for the work at Life Pieces to Masterpieces.”

Hoya Staff Writer Madison Ashley contributed reporting.