Crepes in Copley: French Floor Plans Laid Out

The French department and the Office of Residence Life are hammering out plans for Georgetown’s first on-campus language floor, which may be housed on Copley Hall’s ground level next year.

Named the Dorothy M. Betz French Floor, the funding for the living community was donated by professor emeritus Paul Betz of the English department in memory of his wife Dorothy Betz, a French professor who died April 13 after a 38-year career at the university.

The floor would be open to 16 students interested in a greater exposure to French studies, language and culture. Professor Andrew Sobanet, chair of the French department, has been in talks with Residence Life about the feasibility of the project; Copley ground floor has been designated the leading possibility for the francophone living environment.

Sobanet said Paul Betz’s gift would help finance activities on the floor each year. From individual and group language instruction and practice, greater contact with the French Embassy and more interaction with French exchange students, the floor would also be a forum for cultural interaction. Possibilities include French cooking classes and weekend getaways, according to Sobanet. Cooking crepes and all other French fun will be free for residents thanks to the generous fund.

“[The floor] will enhance the life of the French majors and minors. . It will improve their language skills and cultural exposure,” Sobanet said.

While Sobanet did not know of any other language floors in the works, he hopes the addition of the French floor sparks other language departments to consider the option.

Applications for the floor are currently being accepted. So far, the opportunity has drawn nine applicants; priority is given to French majors and minors based on student seniority.

“I hope that as word spreads on how fun it is the demand will be high, thus increasing our

selectivity [by GPA] . I’m excited about it. As word of mouth spreads among French majors, it’ll be sought after” Sobanet said.

The floor stemmed from an idea Dorothy Betz had been pushing for many years in the French department. In her eulogy at Mrs. Betz’s funeral in Dahlgren Chapel last spring, Deborah Lesko Baker, a professor of French and former chair of the department, hinted that plans for a French floor could materialize in the future. Lesko Baker said at the time that if plans for a floor came to fruition, the floor ought to be named after the longstanding professor.

After hearing Lesko Baker’s eulogy, Paul Betz decided that he would like to contribute the financial backing necessary to see out his wife’s wish.

“I’m very pleased that this project, which meant so much to my wife who loved Georgetown, may take place,” he said. “Dorothy died so suddenly. It is something of a consolation to help out with some of the things she cared about.”

Betz is also donating funds to enhance the French department’s collection of French literature.