CROSS COUNTRY | Women Finish 1st at Penn State Spiked Shoe Invitational, While Men’s Team Takes 2nd

GUHOYAS | Graduate Student Madeline Perez came in second in the 6,000 meter race and was named Big East Cross Country Female Athlete of the Week.

The Georgetown men’s and women’s cross country teams excelled at the Penn State Spiked Shoe invitational in State College, Pa., where the women finished in first place in the 6k race, while the men finished in second place in the 5.2-mile run last Friday.

The women’s team finished with a total of 25 points and posted strong showing against four other schools, with five of their 14 runners finishing in the top 10. It was a huge accomplishment to take down Penn State, who is No.1 in the region and a highly-ranked team nationally.  

Graduate student Madeline Perez finished first for the Hoyas and second in the race with a time of 20:53.4. Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Julie Culley told GU Hoyas about her satisfaction with Perez’s performance. 

“Madeline ran a fantastic race and ran a personal best on that course by over 30 seconds and was a great low stick for us,” Culley said.

Sophomore Alyssa Aldridge came in fourth place with a time of 21:11.6, followed closely behind by fellow sophomore Katherine Modrall, who finished in 21:13.0 to come in fifth place. 

Sophomore Sami Corman finished in sixth place and freshman Maggie Donahue rounded out the Hoyas’ top 10 finishes, coming in eighth place overall. 

Director Culley expressed her confidence in the great potential of the freshmen and sophomores on the team in coming years. 

“We put nine runners in the top 15 and showed great depth as a program,” Culley said. “We are young with three sophomores and one freshman rounding out the top five, but it’s easy to see how good this team is and will be in the next few years.”

On the men’s side, the team earned a total score of 40, finishing behind only Penn State to end in second place out of five teams. Three of the Hoyas’ 11 runners finished in the top 10. 

Graduate student Spencer Brown was the first Hoya to finish, coming in second place overall with a time of 25:39.8. Junior Ty Brownlow followed close behind, finishing in fourth place with a time of 25:47.3. Sophomore Price Owens earned third place with a time of 25:59.3.

Head Coach Brandon Bonsey of the men’s team told GU Hoyas of his satisfaction with the team’s top three finishers, especially recognizing their effort in a very difficult race. 

“I was really happy with the effort from our front three consisting of Spencer Brown, Ty Brownlow and Price Owens,” Bonsey said. “They put themselves in a great position all race and hung tough over the very challenging last mile of the course.”

Senior Jack Salisbury came in 12th place overall, followed directly behind by sophomore Quinn Nicholson in 13th place. Sophomore Maazin Ahmed finished in 14th and senior Eion Nohilly finished 15th to help the Hoyas.

Coach Bonsey told GU Hoyas he is excited for the squad’s next performance, which will be improved with the help of sophomore Rusty Kujdych, fifth-year student Nick Wareham and seniors Jack Van Scoter and Matthew Bouthillette, who are all returning to the course to compete. 

“We now head into a three-week training block headed into Notre Dame, so I’m excited to see how much we can improve during that time span,” said Bonsey.

The women will next race in the Paul Short Invitational in Lehigh, Pa., on Oct. 5, while the men will travel to South Bend, Ind., on Oct. 4 to compete in the Joe Piane Invitational.