DC Mayor Talks Entrepreneurship

SARI FRANKEL/THE HOYA Gray called for increased innovation in the District Monday night.

D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray spoke about the importance of fostering entrepreneurship in the District at the kickoff of the annual Global Entrepreneurship Week Monday evening.

“The ultimate goal is for Georgetown to be known for its entrepreneurial culture, to be a place that encourages entrepreneurship, where students and faculty come together to solve problems,” Jeff Reid, the moderator of the panel, said in his opening statement. Reid is also director of entrepreneurship and real estate finance initiatives for the McDonough School of Business.

Gordon Brown, former British prime minister, and Carl Schramm, president and chief executive officer of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, launched the Global Entrepreneurship Week in 2008. It is now an annual event that focuses on promoting the future of innovation in America and involves more than 10 million people from over 120 countries around the world.

This year marks the third time Georgetown has held the event.

The kickoff began with a discussion featuring three entrepreneurs. The session was preceeded by a welcome by MSB Dean David Thomas and followed by Gray’s address and closing remarks from Schramm.

Gray, a native Washingtonian, focused on the future of technological entrepreneurship within the District.

Gray’s administration, which has now been in office for 10 months, has said that fostering business growth is at the top of its to-do list.

“We like to think that we have sent the message that Washington, D.C. is one of the best places to start a business,” Gray said.

He highlighted specific areas of the city that are thriving economically.

“One only needs to go to Dupont Circle, Columbia Heights or H Street,” he said. “Forty years ago, everyone had given up on H Street, the neighborhood I actually grew up in. Now, if you go there, you will see a thriving area of the city that was recently voted the number one main street in America.”

For Gray, the event represented the greater business efforts of the city.

“To be here, as part of an effort like this, is reinforcing where we hope to go as a city. The District of Columbia is officially open for business,” he said.

Gray also pointed to an educated workforce as indicative of the District’s economic success.

“Seventy-one percent of the people who live in D.C. have some form of college education. I don’t think there is any other city in the nation that can boast those kinds of numbers,” he said.

Georgetown students in attendance were encouraged by a variety of the speakers to take innovative risks.

“As Georgetown students, who are constantly thinking of new ideas, it was great hearing the mayor reassure us that in fact we are creating jobs and we are moving forward,” Pierre Lapeyre (MSB ’15) said.

Multiple speakers emphasized the importance of entrepreneurship as a remedy for to the stagnant economy.

“I truly believe that entrepreneurship must be a part of the solution set that moves us out of the current economic situation we are in.” Thomas said.