Dean and Deluca Closed for Health Violations

Local grocery store and restaurant Dean and Deluca was closed today after violating the D.C. Food Code.

According to a notice posted on the establishment’s door, the Department of Health found that Dean and Deluca’s non-compliance with regulations posed an imminent health risk to the public.

This is not the first time that the store has had problems with food violations.

After a complaint was filed, the eatery had an inspection on Aug. 28, 2012 that found six critical violations, which is enough to close a restaurant if none of the errors can be corrected on site. The violations included no certified food protection manager on duty or posted, unclean food contact surfaces, unlabeled prepared food items and rough cutting boards with multiple grooves. The store, however, was able to fix a sixth observation that found uncovered food items in coolers.

A follow-up inspection was held Sept. 24, 2012 that resulted in seven critical violations. The food inspector reported the same errors as the Aug. 28 visit and an additional violation that said cold food items were stored at improper temperatures. Because five of the violations were corrected on site, the store was able to remain open.

Dean and Deluca could not be reached for comment.