Donald Glover Hits Gaston Stage

Hit sitcom star and comedian Donald Glover kept Hoyas laughing in Gaston Hall Wednesday night with his nostalgia-driven jokes and anecdotes.

Sponsored by the Georgetown Program Board, the event featured two student opening acts, HenryThaler (COL ’14) and Nehemiah Markos (COL ’14). The Georgetown comedians warmed up the crowd for the star of the show, Don Glover. Most know him for his role as college student Troy Barnes on NBC’s runaway hit comedy “Community,” his earlier work with the sketch group Derrick Comedy or under his rapper pseudonym Childish Gambino.

Andrew Marinelli (SFS ’12) called Glover’s role on “Community” “the lovable jock” who, alongside character Abed, “make[s] the show.” As well as brief writing stints with Tina Fey’s “30 Rock” and “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” Glover also just finished a comedy tour around the United States and Canada.

Expectations were high among the massive student turnout, and Glover delivered, keeping his energy high and his stories rolling — even deflecting the setback of a dead microphone. By no means did the show keep to the family-friendly guidelines of a primetime sitcom, with Glover even remarking on the discrepancy between his standup and his work on “Community.”

Glover refused to shy away from potentially sensitive subject matter, railing on racism via his experience as a potential contender for the role of Peter Parker in the new “Spiderman” film and even on gender discrepancies in rape.

Despite the racy language and some controversial themes, Glover doled out the physical and energetic comedy Community-aficionados have come to know and love.

Besides describing modern-day pop culture, including an amusing vision of the possible Kanye West and Lady Gaga tour, Glover related several childhood stories. He recounted the kid dilemma of wanting to visit Toys-R-Us but instead being taken to Home Depot which, according to Glover, is “where your childhood goes to die.”

“Being a fan of [“Community”] and knowing his rap and blog, it was really cool seeing him on stage in person,” said Marinelli. “I definitely had a positive reaction to it and think that GPB chose the right person for the young Georgetown crowd.”