DPS Releases Annual Crime Report

According to the Department of Public Safety’s 2012 Annual Crime Report, overall crime has dipped at Georgetown’s main campus but tripled at the Law Center campus in downtown D.C.

The report, which was released Saturday, highlights crime trends at the two D.C. campuses and three overseas campuses — the McGhee Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies in Alanya, Turkey, at Villa Le Balze in Florence, Italy and the School of Foreign Service in Qatar —  between Jan. 1 2009 and Dec. 31 2011.

According to the report, overall crime at the university’s main campus, which does not include theft or citations for possession of alcohol, drugs or weapons, has dropped by 16 percent between 2009 and 2011. In 2009 there were 54 reported crimes, falling to  51 in 2010 and then 43 in 2011.

Non-arrests for drugs, alcohol and possession of weapons, which are referred to the university’s Office of Student Conduct, peaked at 483 in 2010, before dropping over 32 percent to 365 reported such crimes in 2011. Meanwhile, cases in which students were arrested for drugs, alcohol and possession of weapons doubled from three to six incidents between 2010 and 2011.

In addition, reported crimes spiked substantially at the Law Center, almost tripling between 2010, in which there were three reported cases, and 2011, in which there were 11.

Theft, which is not included in the overall crime statistic because reporting thefts is not mandated by the Clery Act, increased at both D.C. campuses in 2011, jumping from 170 to 219 cases on the main campus and from 17 to 22 incidents at the Law Center.

The report cites no crimes at the university’s McGhee Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies in Alanya, Turkey, at Villa Le Balze in Florence, Italy, or at the Doha, Qatar, campus of the School of Foreign Service in any of the three years.