Evans Unchallenged In Sixth Run for Office

FILE PHOTO: MICHELLE CASSIDY/THE HOYA Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans has held his seat for 20 years.
FILE PHOTO: MICHELLE CASSIDY/THE HOYA
Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans has held his seat for 20 years.

Longtime Democratic Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans remains unopposed in the leadup to the Democratic primary for what may be his sixth consecutive successful election.

Because the city consistently votes Democrat, the April 3 primary will likely be the only relevant election for Evans, who has held his seat for 20 years.

According to Evans, potential challengers have asked around the community and found little enthusiasm for an opposing candidate.

“They were told by virtually everyone that we were doing a great job and they wouldn’t support anyone else,” he said.

According to Ken Archer, who chaired Fiona Greig’s short-lived campaign against Evans in the fall, the lack of competition is problematic.

“Any election … is better contested just to have a dialogue,” he said. “That dialogue is healthy, and it gets the residents engaged in the issues. It’s easy not knowing what’s going on at the council, and thedialogue is there to remind everyone of the decisions that [the council] makes. That’s not happening thistime.”

But Archer said that he talked extensively with Evans after Grieg’s campaign collapsed last November, and he now endorses the councilmember’s attempt at a sixth term.

According to Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E Chair Ron Lewis, Evan’s lack of opposition can be attributed to his widespread support.

“He’s done such a good job and people know how strong the ANCs support him that no one wants to run against him,” Lewis said. “It’s a tribute, really, to the success of his performance.”

Evans has consistently fared well in D.C. elections, typically defeating his opponents by at least 30 points in both primary and general contests.

His candidacy hasn’t been seriously contested since 1991, when he received 31 percent of the vote in a special election held after previous Ward 2 Councilmember John Wilson won his bid for council chairman.

Though Evans is the one of four councilmembers up for re-election who is currently running unopposed, he is among several longtime incumbents on the council.

Democratic Ward 8 Councilmember Marion Barry served as D.C. mayor for 16 years and has held his seat on the council since 2004. Democratic At-Large Member Vincent Orange was Ward 5councilmember for eight years before launching an unsuccessful bid for mayor in 2006. He was re-elected to the council last year in a special election for a vacant at-large seat, which he hopes to retain this election cycle.

While political races often favor incumbents, College Democrats Vice President and Communications Director for D.C. Students Speak Jason Gerson (COL ’14) said that the District’s lack of statehood increases the likelihood that incumbents run for and win re-election multiple times.

“D.C. politics have always been tremendously complex. … In another state, a city councilman becomes a county commissioner, a county commissioner becomes a state representative, a state representative becomes a state senator, a state senator becomes a congressman, a state attorney general or other major statewide role,” Gerson said. “In D.C., the only roles are councilmember, council chairman, mayor, and ANC commissioner, so it’s less likely that incumbents vacate their old seats in the hopes of a promotion.”