Expanding the Business Model

Georgetown students and alumni have long lamented our school’s stagnant ratings in U.S. News and World Report. It seems only necessary, then, that whenever Georgetown scores exceptionally well in college rankings, that we congratulate ourselves for our accomplishments, no matter how superficial.

Last week, rankings in recent alumni career success from LinkedIn placed Georgetown as the No. 1 school for aspiring investment bankers. Among the eight categories that LinkedIn rated, Georgetown also ranked third for finance, sixth for marketing and 15th for media professionals. While the rankings and criteria have come under some scrutiny because of the difficulty in measuring the success of individual career paths, these rankings — most of which are related to majors in the McDonough School of Business — are indicative of some of Georgetown’s specific strengths.

The LinkedIn rankings exhibit that the MSB has been very successful in connecting undergraduates with desirable career paths in graduates’ respective fields. This is, of course, no surprise, given the business school’s school-specific career center and alumni offices, two features that no other undergraduate school can boast.

The MSB’s well-connected alumni network is greatly effective in helping students land internships and jobs with prominent banks and consulting firms. Georgetown’s other undergraduate schools should strive to model their already strong alumni networks to be more like that of the MSB, and the graduates of other Georgetown schools who also pursue finance. While jobs in finance often lend themselves to more direct recruiting and networking, there is still a lesson to be learned from the MSB’s success as measured by LinkedIn: Georgetown’s other schools can do more to help graduates reach the top of their respective fields, as the MSB has done for its alumni.

Even if LinkedIn cannot collect enough data to rank colleges for liberal arts, foreign service or health studies careers in the near future, Georgetown’s other three schools should still be able to say that they would top those lists, too.