FIELD HOCKEY | GU Falls to UConn, Concluding a Successful Season

MAGGIE CHEN FOR THE HOYA | Senior midfielder Katie Maransky scored five points his season, and tied for third on the team with three assists.

The Georgetown field hockey team finished its 2018 season last Friday with a 4-1 loss to No. 4 UConn. The Hoyas closed the season with 11 wins, marking the first time the program has won more than 1o games in the past 17 years.

UConn (16-3, 7-0 Big East) senior back Cecile Pieper scored first in the seventh minute to take the lead. Eight minutes later, the Huskies scored again off a pass across the net for their second goal of the game.

The Hoyas (11-7, 2-5 Big East) fended off the Huskies for the remainder of the first half, and freshman goalkeeper Ciara Weets blocked four scoring opportunities from the Huskies.

Almost immediately after the second half started, sophomore midfielder Jax van der Veen was fouled in front of the cage. Georgetown was awarded a penalty stroke, and freshman back Sydney Stephenson converted on the shot for her third goal of the season.

UConn added a third goal in the 57th minute, and freshman forward Maddy Wray scored the Huskies’ fourth and final goal of the game in the 68th minute.

UConn led Georgetown 18-1 in shots and 11-1 in penalty corners. Weets finished the game with 10 saves overall.

Despite the loss, Head Coach Christy Longacre said that the team gave a strong performance.

“It took us a little bit to get started, but overall, the girls played well and it was a good note to finish on,” Longacre said in an interview with The Hoya. “Being able to recognize that we can get shots off and corners against that good of a team was a positive experience.”

Over the course of the season, Georgetown averaged 2.39 goals per game and scored a total of 43 goals. As a team, the Hoyas earned 115 penalty corners and 30 assists throughout the fall. Weets tallied 84 saves, while sophomore forward Cami Osborne led the team with nine goals and 42 shots.

The team improved in conference play, totalling two Big East wins compared to last season’s one. Georgetown’s 11-7 overall record was two wins higher than last season’s 9-10 overall record.

Longacre said that the team will continue to develop defensively and learn from its mistakes as it heads into next season.

“One of the biggest things we’ve been working on is changing our defense from man-to-man to zone, which requires a lot more communication and organization,” Longacre said. “We’re going to continue building on what we started, focusing on those basics, and getting better at learning from our mistakes in the game rather than game-to-game.”