FIELD HOCKEY | Seniors Miss Surprise in Home Loss to Syracuse

The Georgetown field hockey team (2-15, 0-5 Big East) fell flat in its final regular season home game Friday, losing, 7-2, to Syracuse at the University of Maryland’s Field Hockey Complex.

The No. 3 Orange (14-1, 5-0 Big East) did not take long to justify its ranking, scoring just over one minute into the game.

“Playing Syracuse is great opportunity,” Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said. “It is not often that you get to play a top-seeded team in the nation.”

Two more goals put the Orange ahead, 3-0, before senior Annie Wilson, who leads the Hoyas in points with 17, registered her sixth goal of the season.

“Annie has been doing great and is only getting better as the season goes on,” Marsh said. “She is such a hard worker.”

Syracuse tallied two more goals in the first half to go into halftime up, 5-1. The Hoyas had a much stronger defensive effort after the intermission, holding the Orange to two goals.

Georgetown senior midfielder Caitlin Hickey responded with her first goal of the year off a pass from fellow midfielder senior Claire Mittermiller.

“Caitlin has been great,” Marsh said. “She is very consistent on the field. She has this spark. She is very motivating and knows how to pump the girls up.”

Despite the loss, Marsh was proud of her team.

“Syracuse is always an emotional game,” Marsh said. “Especially it being our last home game of the season, I think it’s the best game we’ve played.”

Next up for the Hoyas is a weekend trip to Pennsylvania, where they will face Villanova and Lafayette in the final two games of the regular season.