First Farmers’ Market Successful

EMILY SEIGLER FOR THE HOYA Students crowded into Healy Circle for Wednesday’s farmers’ market, which featured local flowers, produce and baked goods. See story on page A6.
EMILY SEIGLER FOR THE HOYA
Students crowded into Healy Circle for Wednesday’s farmers’ market, which featured local flowers, produce and baked goods. See story on page A6.

Students flocked to Healy Circle to taste fresh produce, buy organic foods and view cooking demonstrations at the pilot opening of Georgetown’s first farmers’ market Wednesday afternoon.

The event, organized by two Georgetown students and funded by a ReImagine Georgetown grant, marked the launch of what will be a regularly occurring farmers’ market next semester.

According to Bre Donald (NHS ’12), co-founder of the market, the eight vendors present were surprised at the turnout.

“All of the vendors had high profit margins, and many of them sold out of their products,” she said.

When the market officially kicks off in September, vendors will return to sell their products at Georgetown each Wednesday for six or seven weeks. Donald and Gadsden say they hope to secure a few more vendors, and all of the current vendors have agreed to return in the fall. They also plan to get more students involved in the market.

For the students who attended, the market piqued their interest.

Sarah Christiano (COL ’13) usually attends a farmers’ market at home and was impressed by the one on campus.

Chirei Chang (SFS ’13) was also supportive.

“I’m really excited to buy some apples,” Chang said as she stood in line for produce.

The market attempted to gauge the campus’ reaction by handing out surveys to those in attendance. Donald said the results indicated that the vast majority of campus would be interested in attending the market again in the fall.

The pilot, which ran from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., featured eight vendors, including Beechwood Orchards, Les Caprices de Joelle, TeaCo, Panorama Bakery, Wollam Gardens and Sweet Nut House. The merchants hocked their organic goods, pastries, teas, flowers, fresh fruit and honey.

The market also featured cooking demonstrations by Whole Foods and an appearance by the Sweetflow van.

Donald and Melissa Gadsden (NHS ’12) first came up with the idea for a market for a class project but decided they wanted to take the idea further. They then applied for the ReImagine Georgetown grant.

With the help of the grant, the Georgetown University Student Association Fund and student groups like The Corp, EcoAction and the Gastronomes, Donald and Gadsden were able to plan the market they hope will continue to serve Georgetown.

“It’s cool that it seems the entire campus community has really embraced this idea and has provided part of the motivation to make sure that the event came together in the end,” Gadsden wrote in an email.