FOOTBALL | Georgetown Falls to Fordham in Final Minutes of Homecoming Game

Georgetown’s football team lost in the final seconds to the Fordham Rams in its first Patriot League game of the season on Shaw Field last Saturday. The game was a battle of two high-powered offenses, but the Hoya defense was unable to stop the Rams when it mattered most, with the game on the line in the final minutes of play.

The Hoyas (4-2, 0-1 Patriot League) entered the game on a hot streak, having won four straight games. Georgetown’s defense had been on a tear, letting up no more than 10 points in those four victories. Georgetown had also yet to lose since implementing their two-quarterback system, alternating quarterbacks situationally, against Marist (5-6, 5-3 Pioneer Football League). The Hoyas now have both the No. 1 offense and defense in the Patriot League.

Fordham (3-4, 1-0 Patriot League) entered the game with a record of 2-4, having dropped their most recent game to Yale (3-1, 1-1 Ivy League). Last time Fordham played Georgetown, the Hoyas emerged victorious by a final score of 23-11 on the road. 

The Hoyas wasted no time in getting their offense going. On the first play from scrimmage, senior quarterback Gunther Johnson connected with senior wide receiver Michael Dereus on an 81-yard bomb that put the Hoyas on the 1-yard line. Georgetown punched the ball into the endzone on the next play with a handoff to freshman wide receiver Dorrian Moultrie. 

Special teams, between field goals, punting and kickoffs played a big factor in the fate of the game. Near the end of the first quarter, Fordham tied the game at 6-6 on a touchdown pass. The tie ended briefly, however, as senior defensive lineman Khristian Tate blocked the extra point attempt and junior defensive back Cameron Deen returned it for two points. 

Sophomore linebacker Justin Fonteneaux had another outstanding game, earning his second-straight Patriot League Honorable Mention selection. He finished with 13 tackles, a forced fumble and an interception. His interception put the Hoyas in an advantageous field position, which lead to a 16-yard touchdown run by Johnson that gave the Hoyas a 15-6 lead at the start of the second quarter.

Kirk Zieser/The Hoya | Senior quarterback Gunther Johnson carries the ball down the field with intensity as the Hoyas take on the Rams.

Fordham was able to even the game up, however, with their special teams play. Fordham’s junior kicker Andrew Mevis hit a 46-yard field goal to bring the score to 15-9. On Georgetown’s next position, Georgetown went three-and-out and had their punt blocked. Fordham recovered the blocked punt on the Georgetown 18-yard line, quickly scoring a touchdown; this score would be the last before halftime, when Fordham led 16-15.

The second half was just as eventful as the first, with both teams exchanging touchdowns until the final seconds. Both teams scored on their opening possessions in the second half, but Georgetown again failed to score on the point after trying, leaving the score at 23-21. The Hoyas reclaimed the lead at the beginning of the fourth quarter as Moultrie ran in another touchdown to finish a 70-yard drive. The Hoyas went for two again but once again did not convert. 

After a series of short possessions, senior defensive back Leon Agee was able to grab an interception, giving the Hoyas the ball back with three minutes left in the game and the lead. Georgetown was unable to run out the clock, however, as the Hoyas turned the ball over on downs on the Rams’ 26-yard line after getting stopped short on fourth-and-two. 

Fordham drove down the field and was able to score the go-ahead touchdown with just 16 seconds left on the clock. Georgetown did not manage to pull off any last second heroics, losing 30-27.

Georgetown set the school record in yards of total offense against a Patriot League opponent with 525 total yards of the over 900 yards of offense in total from the game.

Georgetown’s next game is also at home on Saturday, Oct. 19, against Lafayette (0-6, 0-0 Patriot League). Last year, the Hoyas were victorious against the Leopards, winning 13-6.