Former Basketball Star Committed to Jail on Sexual Assault Charge

Security footage of Victor Page, a former Georgetown University basketball player, assaulting and attempting to rape his girlfriend’s 17 year-old daughter before neighbors intervened surfaced on TMZ on Jan. 19.

Page was committed to the Prince George’s County Correctional Center on Jan. 5 on a charge of attempted first-degree rape. He is awaiting a hearing Feb. 1, according to TMZ Sports.

The incident occurred Dec. 30, while Page was still on parole for a 10-year sentence he had received for a 2013 second-degree assault. The victim’s mother reported the incident to Page’s parole officer, according to Fox 5. Court documents allege that the victim attempted to escape but was recaptured by Page outside of the victim’s home in Camp Springs, Md., before neighbors intervened.

THE GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL HISTORY PROJECT | Victor Page, fifth from left, who played on the Georgetown men’s basketball team from 1995 to 1997, is accused of attempted rape in the first degree. He awaits his first hearing set for Feb. 1.

Georgetown Survivors, a student group that advocates and provides supports for survivors of sexual assault on campus, condemned Page’s actions in a statement to The Hoya.

“We are glad that justice is being pursued and hope that the victim is able to access the resources she needs to heal,” Georgetown Survivors wrote. “It is fortunate that the incident was filmed—video is often one of the only forms of evidence considered conclusive enough to get justice for the survivor.”

Page was recruited and played for the Georgetown men’s basketball team from 1995 to 1997 and left the university without graduating, according to university spokesperson Matt Hill. Page averaged 22.7 points as the Big East’s leading scorer and an all-conference performer in his 1997-98 sophomore season, coached by John Thompson Jr. and playing alongside future NBA player Allen Iverson.

Page grew up in the District and moved between high schools, eventually playing for McKinley Technology High School. In his senior year he was convicted of gun and drug infractions after he pleaded guilty to charges of cocaine possession. Page was sentenced to 90 days in jail.

Although Page pursued basketball after leaving Georgetown, he never played in the NBA. Page entered the NBA draft but remained undrafted before playing in the Continental Basketball Association for several seasons with the Sioux Falls Skyforce before he was dismissed over issues with his work ethic.

Page caught public attention again in 2003 when he was shot three times while sitting in his car in Southeast D.C. He was transported to the hospital by helicopter and arrived there in critical condition, but survived with an injury to his right eye, on which he now wears a patch.

The official Georgetown men’s basketball Twitter account, @GeorgetownHoops, tweeted a throwback in remembrance of Page’s time as a Hoya in early 2018, despite his still being on parole for his 2013 assault.

All-American. 1st Team All BIG EAST. BIG EAST Tournament MVP. Respect, Victor Page!” the tweet reads.

Though Page has previous convictions, none of these occurred during the time that he spent at the university before he decided to leave, according to Hill.

“Georgetown University takes our responsibility to prevent and address sexual assault and misconduct very seriously,” Hill wrote. “Student-athletes participate in extensive training on preventing sexual misconduct, hazing, and other issues.”

While Page’s actions prove deeply disappointing, Georgetown students should not forget the prevalence of sexual assault at the university, Georgetown Survivors said.

“While it is deeply upsetting that Page acted as he did, he is not, by far, the only perpetrator of sexual assault or misconduct affiliated with Georgetown,” Georgetown Survivors wrote. “We hope that all Hoyas, regardless of identify or background, act with humanity or otherwise are held accountable to their actions — even if incidents are not caught on film.