From Cells to Cambridge

Cara Marie Manlandro (COL ’06) was awarded the Winston Churchill Scholarship last week, allowing her to pursue research in cell biology and mathematics at the University of Cambridge starting in the fall.

Manlandro will study pharmacology at Cambridge during the 2006-2007 academic year in pursuit of a Master of Philosophy degree.

“I applied for the Churchill because it’s an amazing opportunity to visit another country and [venture] into science,” Manlandro said. Manlandro, a double major in mathematics and biology, has conducted research with both departments. Her work on potassium ion homeostasis, which is the ability of an organism or cell to maintain internal equilibrium, in yeast has been published in two field journals and was presented by her at the 2004 American Society for Cell Biology conference. She is currently studying with mathematics professor James Sandefur for her senior honors thesis.

Manlandro said that the scholarship will provide her an excellent opportunity to continue her research.

“The biological sciences are amazing in the U.K., and I can’t wait to study there,” she said.

Sandefur said that, although pharmacology is not directly related to her background in mathematics, Manlandro will combine the skills that she has learned through studying mathematics and biology in Cambridge.

“The same mental processes will be used,” he said.

Sandefur added that he was not surprised when he was informed that Manlandro had been accepted into the program.

“She has worked hard and is quite bright, so I knew she had a good chance to get this award,” Sandefur said.

The Churchill Scholarship is awarded annually to 11 students to study programs in mathematics, engineering or a range of different sciences at Cambridge. It covers all university tuition and fees and provides the recipients with an added travel stipend.

Manlandro, who is a member of the Georgetown swim and dive team and Alpha Sigma Nu, the national honor society of Jesuit colleges and universities, said she was ecstatic upon finding out she had received the scholarship.

“I wanted to hold the phone away from my mouth and scream `yes!’ in the middle of the Leavey Center when [the foundation director] called me, but somehow – and I’m not sure how – I was able to control myself,” Manlandro said.