FUNNY FACES IN BEAUTIFUL PLACES | James Austin Johnson at the Miracle Theatre

The lights of the midcentury sign glitter against the damp sidewalk, reflecting the word “Miracle.” The historic Miracle Theatre certainly lives up to its name: it survived an era of gentrification after first opening as the Meader Theater in 1909, and its walls have seen everything from concerts to movie screenings to church gatherings. 

As you enter the theater, you see the vaudevillian lobby, with a rich crimson carpet and walls accented with gold and white trim. Gold-framed mirrors cover the walls, altering the perception of space in the luxurious lobby. As you move deeper into the theater, the smell of popcorn permeates the lavish drapery that swaddles patrons in the cozy performance space. 

I visited the Miracle Theatre to see James Austin Johnson, an impressionist comedian, perform. Johnson is the current Trump and Biden impersonator for Saturday Night Live (SNL), the legendary comedy sketch show, which he joined during its 47th season. There was a surprisingly sparse turnout — the theater was only at half capacity. Despite this, I sat on the edge of my seat, waiting for Johnson’s performance to begin. 

Johnson first performed a segment on his native Nashville, Tennessee — which is also my hometown — hitting on everything from the city’s bachelorette infestation to the lack of urgency that those south of the Mason-Dixon line seem to possess.

Johnson is the anti-Pete Davidson. He lacks the air of arrogance many young comics seem to exude. Johnson is a family man, sharing jokes about his wife and child that are reminiscent of another Nashville-born comic, Nate Bargatze — the two even share a joke about being unable to do their children’s elementary school homework. 

Though Johnson certainly possesses a certain charm and an aura of likeability, his set was not as polished as many Netflix specials. He used the Miracle audience as guinea pigs, testing pieces and quickly moving on if they didn’t receive the response he was hoping for. Luckily, the audience wasn’t tough, responding well to Johnson’s endearing stories about his family and his self-awareness about the unrefined nature of his set.

Every time he talked about his wife, whom he couldn’t help but compliment throughout the show, Johnson transitioned between bits by informing the audience “I know this isn’t the funniest part of the show, but it’s a part of my life, and I wanted to share with you…” trailing off as he bashfully lowered his head. 

Finally, Johnson reached the part of the show we had all been waiting for: the Trump impression. The audience was starstruck as they saw the famous (infamous?) impersonation we have all seen on national television be performed in real life. The best part of this segment was a conversation between Biden and Trump about anchovies in caesar dressing. The conversation’s ridiculous nature, as well as the light jab at Biden’s tendency to mumble and trail off when speaking, made it a highlight of the show.

For his final bit, Johnson left us with his first and only hot take of the night: Bob Dylan is not a good singer. This riled up the audience — largely comprised of people in their late 30s and early 40s — who all seemed to have a certain attachment to the singer. To back up his assertion, Johnson performed an impression of “Blowin’ in the Wind” that showcased Dylan’s nasally voice.

Johnson’s set was a chaotic litany of jokes, impressions and tidbits about his life. Though some jokes definitely landed better than others, there were definitely moments in Johnson’s performance that showcased him at his best. There was a consistent murmur of laughter throughout his set — certainly an accomplishment for any stand-up comedian.

Though it is clear that Johnson is still polishing his set, his potential was clear throughout his whole performance. After all, who can say no to an endearing wife guy who follows his jokes with the earnest, self-aware acknowledgment that “this isn’t the funniest part of the show, but it’s a part of my life, and I wanted to share it with you”?

Amber Cherry is a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences. Funny Faces in Beautiful Places will appear online and in print every other week.