Georgetown Players Split: Children’s Theater, Improv

This month the Georgetown Players voted to split into two groups: the Georgetown Improv Association and Georgetown University Children’s Theater.

“We’ve been informally talking about it for a while and perhaps formally decided to split last spring,” Jed Feiman (COL ’12), the new executive producer of the Improv Association, said. “It’s been a year-long process developing separate constitutions, and each group successfully presented its own constitution to [Performing Arts Advisory Council] this month.”

Both groups decided that the split made sense because the two groups had different missions, according to Feiman.

“Initially there may have been overlap between members in the improv troupe and Children’s Theater, which is why it was under one organization. But over time, the groups have developed two fundamentally different memberships and audiences and ultimately were linked in name only,” he said. “Most importantly, the artistic missions of the two groups, performing improvised comedy and developing theater for young audiences, are truly different.”

Elizabeth Seaman (COL ’12), the acting president of Children’s Theater, said that it became difficult logistically for the two groups to function as one.

“Since both groups now have increased membership and are expanding in the performing arts community, we have different needs,” she said. “One of the largest problems we faced was that when we were one group we only had one board, and it was difficult to have our officers divided between the two groups.”

Next year the Improv Association hopes to expand by creating its own Web site and looking to the greater D.C. area for venues, according to Sean Quigley (SFS ’12), the group’s treasurer.

“We’re also planning on improving our relationship with the Washington Improv Theater – hopefully having some of their troupes over here and performing in their space as well,” he said. “And of course we’ll be maintaining our monthly shows in Bulldog Alley, as well as our annual ImprovFest in February.”

Children’s Theater will begin expanding programming through children’s theater workshops and writing workshops, according to Evan Mousseau (COL ’11), newly elected president of the group.

“Right now we have plans to begin expanding our programming, first of all to include acting workshops for local youth, along with the touring show we perform each semester. We’re also hoping to workshop original student-written material for the group to perform,” he said. “We’re really excited about the growth this will bring, not only to our outreach in the community, but also to our membership, since these new efforts will give more opportunities for involvement.”

**Correction:** An earlier version of this article stated one of the two groups resulting from the split will be called the Georgetown University Improv Group. The group will be called Georgetown Improv Association.