Georgetown Teams Combine For Win, Men Take Six Races

The Hoyas kicked off the 2010-2011 swimming and diving season – their first under Head Coach James Holder – with a combined victory at the Potomac Relays at American University on Friday.

The relays included 18 events – nine for the men and nine for the women, none of which were individual races.

Of the nine men’s relay events, Georgetown swimmers placed first in six: the 800-yard freestyle, the 500 freestyle, the 300 backstroke, the 300 breaststroke, the 200 freestyle and the 200 medley.

These victories – and three second-place performances – gave the Georgetown men’s squad a total of 114 points, outdistancing second-place George Mason by 40. The win was also Holder’s first as head coach.

“It was certainly a learning experience and will continue to be as I move forward with our season,” Holder said. “I’m excited to see what our squad can do this year.”

The best performance on the women’s side came with a second-place finish in the 300 butterfly. However, three third-place and three fourth-place finishes were good enough to give the Blue and Gray a total of 68 points.

This gave the women a third-place finish behind Towson and George Mason. The combined men’s and women’s totals helped Georgetown defeat Towson by 22 (182-160).

“I was encouraged by our performances and also feel there are a lot of things we can improve upon in the future,” Holder said.

Georgetown will compete next on Saturday when they meet Delaware and Big East foe

Seton Hall in Newark, Del.