Golf | Freshmen Highlight Weekend

Spearheaded by freshman Jacquelyn Eleey, the Georgetown women’s golf team finished its season strong, placing second at the Big East Championship. The Hoyas narrowly missed taking home first place, finishing one stroke behind champion Seton Hall.

“Overall it was an awesome event. We played great, and it was competitive the entire way,” Head Coach Katie Brophy said. “We handled everything really well, but in the end, we came up just one shot short, which was a bit heartbreaking.”

After leading following the first round of play, Georgetown found itself down by one shot heading into the final round. In the end, the team was unable to pull off the comeback and posted a total score of 51-over par 915 for the tournament.

Eleey provided a highlight of the tournament, posting a total score of seven-over par 223 to win the individual title.

“I’m really proud of Jackie,” Brophy said. “Her success is a sign of all her hard work, dedication and drive. She’s a really dedicated team player and she demands a lot from herself. Earlier in the season, she had put herself in a position to win events, but wasn’t able to pull it off. It was the perfect way to end the season because she had come so close so many times before.”

Junior co-captains Patricia Lee and Mackenzie Boydston shot total scores of 11-over par 227 and 21-over par 237, respectively.

“For next year, we have four new freshmen that will join the team, so we are looking forward to our new additions,” Brophy said. “We are looking forward to the continued leadership from Patricia and Mackenzie, both on and off the golf course. They’ve done really good things for us in golf, but they’ve also been great people to lead the way.”

Despite a promising first day, the Georgetown men’s golf team finished ninth overall after two rounds of play at the Princeton Invitational. After a strong opening round at Aronimink Golf Club, the Hoyas fell back eight strokes over their final 18 holes while playing at Merion Golf Club. In total, the Hoyas posted a team score of 604.

Georgetown’s top performer was freshman Sam Madsen, who shot a total 6-over par 146 and finished tied for 17th place overall.

“We had a very competitive first round at Aronimink that put us just a few strokes off the lead,” Madsen said. “However, Sunday was a battle and we all had to grind for the majority of the day. On a course like Merion, in the conditions we played it, there are only a few chances to pick up strokes and that makes for a really tough competitive day.”

Freshman Cole Berman provided another strong performance, finishing in 23rd place with a total score of 8-over par 148. Sophomore Austin Rendell, freshman Jack Musgrave and senior Greg Podufal finished with total scores of 155, 155 and 157, respectively.

“I think that as a team our round at Aronimink was really strong,” Madsen said. “We were playing an unfamiliar course and had a very competitive team score.”

Throughout the week, the team battled tough weather conditions.

“The wind was really strong the first day at Aronimink, so you really had to be hitting it solid in order to have good things happen,” Madsen said. “I stuck one to about two feet on my 12th hole there, and I remember thinking that was a pretty good shot.”

The Georgetown men’s golf team earned a fourth-place finish in the Rutherford Collegiate hosted by Penn State last weekend and will now prepare for the Big East Championships next weekend.